View Full Version : Retail observation: 8 Palms and 2 PPCs

Lex
10-11-2006, 11:48 AM
Yesterday I stopped in the Staples store where I bought my iPAQ 2215 two years ago. To my surprise there were 8 Palm models and 2 PPCs; an HP rx1950 and a Garmin iQUE. CompUSA has a few more PPCs but their total focus (in my city) is now on Sprint converged devices. Why is all this? Maybe the market for PPCs is small and that's why the best stuff is only available online.

salem
10-11-2006, 10:17 PM
in my home country, it's different. Most Palm models are available, but Pocket PC models are much more than its counterparts in any stores.

The reason is not a big market or not for a particular device, it's because Palm really sucks. They ruin their popular OS, they are always slow to publish a new device, and third party devices almost vanish in the market.

Cybrid
10-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Yesterday I stopped in the Staples store where I bought my iPAQ 2215 two years ago. To my surprise there were 8 Palm models and 2 PPCs; an HP rx1950 and a Garmin iQUE. CompUSA has a few more PPCs but their total focus (in my city) is now on Sprint converged devices. Why is all this? Maybe the market for PPCs is small and that's why the best stuff is only available online.Generally speaking as a retailer I'd want to stock "sellers". Palm with their low end simple devices wins. With the money they've "saved" the customer buys a stand-alone PMP.
To get the most out of a high-end device requires a large monetary and time investment. Joe Average for whose benefit cups of coffee have disclaimers "Caution:Contents are hot!" is not a Win Mobile user.

Now let us all celebrate our "leetness"

Cybrid
10-12-2006, 05:20 PM
... With the money they've "saved" the customer buys a stand-alone PMP...Then when they're tired of dual devices, sell the Palm and go back to post-it notes and the calendar on the fridge.