View Full Version : Why not a 4GB Memory Card in your PPC?

JPD6825
10-07-2006, 04:38 AM
OK, with 4GB SD cards now in the $65 neighborhood and larger cards to soon be at price that someone rational might even buy...

applejosh
10-07-2006, 04:49 AM
The reason I haven't jumped on the 4GB bandwagon is because I'm still not sure about the quality of the cards/manufacturers. Plus technically, it's not to the SD spec (not that it matters that much if it works). The next card I get will probably just be a high quality 2GB, unless I have a real need for the 4GB.

isajoo
10-07-2006, 05:52 AM
same here... got a 1gb sd card...thinking about adding a 4gb cd card...but even though card speeds on the ppc dont really play big role...but seconds to minutes when loading up a 4gb card from a pc is really important factor. not even sure if 4gb would work on my ppc...if any one has the same one, let me know if it works...toshiba e750 w/wm2003

Darius Wey
10-07-2006, 06:14 AM
Yes, the fact that getting 4GB SD cards to work with Pocket PCs is largely a hit-and-miss is probably the reason why adoption isn't all that great. Also of contribution is the miniSD and microSD-only support in most of the current-generation devices.

alese
10-07-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm still trying to decide if it would be a good idea to try 4Gb SD card for my Universal.
I would love to have more storage for multimedia, but I'm afraid that 4Gb won't be enough...
Then there is the "small" problem of like Janak said, "hit and miss" compatibility with 4Gb cards.

Nurhisham Hussein
10-07-2006, 03:05 PM
You said no microdrives but since I own both a 8GB microdrive and an 8GB flash CF, I have to conclude that I'm not rational :devilboy:

The funny thing is - 8GB is still not enough!

Hagow
10-08-2006, 01:58 AM
I use a 4gig SD card on my ETEN M600+ and it works great. I have the Wikipidia on it and that take like 1.2gig by itself, but it is so useful any time you wanna look up something it's there! Get 4gig if possible...just my 2 cents!

jlp
10-08-2006, 02:32 AM
I put more as I have a few cards: currently 1GB CF and 2x 2GB SD + 1GB SD + 7x 512 MB SD + various smaller CF & SD cards.

I bought those 2GB, 1GB & 0.5 GB SD cards recently (totaling 8 GB), altogether for much less than my 1 GB CF card 3 years ago.

Got the 0.5 GB for $2.5 apiece 8) to store full length movies in hi quality VGA for my Loox 720.

SD are the only way to go as I can share them between my PDA, digicam, moviecam, MP3 players.

Too bad those crazy engineers put substandard cards in those recent PDAs and most of today's phones, I could use them in those too.

Worst thing is that there are seven!! substandard memory card formats (all sub SD, an already small format) and nobody is smart enough to settle on SD: small enough and offers high enough capacity (8 GB these days, I've seen on ebay).

jlp
10-08-2006, 02:33 AM
...I have the Wikipidia on it and that take like 1.2gig by itself, ...

Which version do you use? Lexipedia? Tomeraider's? other?

Hagow
10-09-2006, 08:44 AM
I use Tomeraider. I like how the pages look with it.

salem
10-11-2006, 10:22 PM
I'm using dopod 828 device. I tried several 4GB SD card but none of them can work @ my device. Don't really know what happens, because there're some other users who claimed that they can use it.

skeeta
10-19-2006, 08:14 PM
I bought a 4gig for my M2000. The funny thing is it works a treat in my PPC but can't be read in either my camera or PC's multi card reader. They both throw up a media error.
Still, as long as it carries out the function it was purchased for I suppose it doesn't matter.

Brad Adrian
10-20-2006, 02:55 AM
The funny thing is - 8GB is still not enough!
I know we've asked a similar question here many times before, but I'm curious as to what you need all that storage for. Even with all the applications I've got installed (more than 100 items in my "Remove Programs" list), I've got plenty of room left on my 2 GB card. Aside from installing all of the GPS maps that I'll never use, I can't think of what else I could add to my storage card that would fill it up.

victore
10-20-2006, 08:38 AM
brad, along with my gps maps, i store a ton of ebooks, photos and the contents of "my documents". the rest of the space is devoted to mp3's.

Nurhisham Hussein
10-20-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm doing pretty much what victore is doing - masive amounts of ebooks (though not nearly my entire collection), at least a gig worth of mp3s, a couple of gigs worth of videos, and every single picture of my daughter that has ever been taken. Oh, and a few Audible programs as well.

Carty
10-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Thos who find SD cards over 2GB not recognized in their devices can partition your SD cards! Read more.. (http://www.pocketpc-live.com/partition-sd-cards-2.html)