View Full Version : Insight on my PPC freezing problem?

JesterMania
10-07-2006, 04:17 AM
My device is running WM5 and was getting cluttered and I did a hard reset. I then proceeded to install all my programs again. I've always been in the habit of installing all programs to ROM and it's been working out okay. However, here's the problem:

I proceeded with installing my programs normally but sometimes, the program will freeze during installation. Sometimes it freezes even before it asks to install to the Device/Storage Card, and sometimes it will freeze right when the status bar is almost full. Other times, the installation progress bar seems to "stutter" and installation of a program takes abnormally long. I've installed a lot of programs in the past and this has never happened.

I'm sure it can't be a fragmentation issue as I have always copied the .cab onto storage card and executed installation from there. Doing it this way, installation of all programs have always been quite quick. This problem occurs even with only 2-3 programs installed, and they are programs I've always used and are from reputable software houses such as WebIS Pocket Informant and Spb Pocket Plus.

If anyone has any ideas why these freezes are occurring, I'd greatly appreciate any insight. I forgot to mention, these installation freezes seemingly occur randomly for any given program.

Brad Adrian
10-09-2006, 11:16 PM
My first guess would be that there's one installation in particular that's creating a bottleneck. That's why I usually try to perform a soft reset pretty often whenever rebuilding a device; some installations expect it before they completely release the resources they've nabbed.