View Full Version : Wireless Protocols 802.11b vs. 802.11g

EMS-Medic
10-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Hello everyone,

I am a new owner of an rx1950 but I had a h4150 previously. My questions is, has HP removed the utilization of 802.11g networks from it's wireless network cards?

If so, why?

What is the difference between a "B" and a "G" network? (I use Wi-Fi Companion 2.9, and it states that there a only "B" networks because the new iPAQ doesn't utilize the "G" networks).

Thanks,
--Phil

Cybrid
10-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Hello everyone,

I am a new owner of an rx1950 but I had a h4150 previously. My questions is, has HP removed the utilization of 802.11g networks from it's wireless network cards?

If so, why?

What is the difference between a "B" and a "G" network? (I use Wi-Fi Companion 2.9, and it states that there a only "B" networks because the new iPAQ doesn't utilize the "G" networks).

Thanks,
--Phil Basically G is a newer enhanced version of B, G is in most cases backwards compatible to B.
G is 54Mbps vs B being 11Mbps. Most pocket pcs don't have the ability to make use of G's higher speed and B is more common anyway.
Your PPC should connect to G routers nearly automatically unless the router is set to "G only" effectively blocking B users out.

EMS-Medic
10-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

Just curious, my h4150 could connect to "g" networks (as indicated by WiFi Companion 2.9), are there any other iPAQ versions that can connect to g networks?

Cheers,
--Phil

Cybrid
10-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

Just curious, my h4150 could connect to "g" networks (as indicated by WiFi Companion 2.9), are there any other iPAQ versions that can connect to g networks?

Cheers,
--Phil As G is backwards compatible...a G router would let your rx1950 connect but just at B speeds. Shouldn't be a problem unless the network was designated as G only.