View Full Version : Clear or anti-glare screen protectors?

dmkozak
10-06-2006, 06:30 AM
It'll go on a T-Mobile MDA. Won't be using much outdoors. Just wondering what the differences are between the clear and the anti-glare?

Darius Wey
10-06-2006, 06:39 AM
Crystal clear retains the true colour reproduction of the screen and doesn't reduce screen brightness. It also gives the screen a glossy finish. Anti-glare, on the other hand, cuts out glare, and so has more of a matt finish (more suitable for outdoor use). It does reduce the colour and brightness just a tad, but it's nothing your eyes will water over. It also improves the writing surface. Personally, I prefer the anti-glare, but every person has their own tastes.

Menneisyys
10-06-2006, 07:39 AM
On a QVGA device, I'd prefer the anti-glare one. On VGA's, use Ultra/Crystal Clear.

Bittermormon
10-06-2006, 09:32 PM
I find the antiglare very nice when I use my MDA with tomtom in the car as well.

Janak Parekh
10-06-2006, 10:37 PM
I find the antiglare very nice when I use my MDA with tomtom in the car as well.
Right -- for Pocket PC Phones in particular, I'd prefer the antiglare (as is on my 700w), because I will occasionally use it outside for calls, etc.

--janak

isajoo
10-07-2006, 01:08 AM
some like antiglare, some like crystal clear....

BOTTOM line... DONT USE a ppc without a SCREEN PROTECTOR EVER....

that will be the day u will morne for months about how it got a HUGE scratch.

but once u have one on... it is like safe XXX...Go for it...
like nike says...JUST DO IT!!! 8O

David_C
10-07-2006, 02:38 AM
I've used both, and personally, I prefer the clear ones :)

Dave C

Darius Wey
10-07-2006, 06:19 AM
BOTTOM line... DONT USE a ppc without a SCREEN PROTECTOR EVER....

You could include Smartphones in there too. The fact that they don't include user-replaceable shells makes the investment in screen protectors worth it, even though the screen isn't touch-enabled.

dmkozak
10-07-2006, 05:09 PM
I've used both, and personally, I prefer the clear ones :)

Dave C

Could you give your reasons? What you like about each; what you don't like about each? Why the clear works better for you? The more info we can gather, the more we can decide what will work best for each of us. Your reasons might be exactly what will work best for me, or just the opposite. Thanks.

Hagow
10-08-2006, 01:55 AM
Anti-glare hands down! Especially with a PPCPE because it does not leave finger prints and facial oil on the screen.

Brad Adrian
10-09-2006, 11:12 PM
I prefer the anti-glare ones, too. They're just so much nicer when you're working in an environment with bright lights. The only times I've opted for the clear are on some of my older devices for which ANY loss in brightness would be unacceptable.

PetiteFlower
10-10-2006, 05:42 AM
I agree with anti-glare, for the fingerprint-proof quality and the better writing surface as well as the actual glare reduction.

hrbngr
10-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Are the ultra-clear protectors more resistant to damage than the anti-glare ones? do either seem to be more softer than the other? I have some crappy fellowes writeright clear protectors that get "cloudy" and show scratches pretty quickly. I would buy the custom fitted ones for my pda, but i would prefer to buy a pack of ones that i could cut myself for pda use, cellphone use, etc. It's hard to find the crystal-clear protectors that are store bought (bbuy, ccity,etc) that are good quality--not to mention finding anti-glare options.

Darius Wey
10-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Are the ultra-clear protectors more resistant to damage than the anti-glare ones? do either seem to be more softer than the other?

It depends on which brand you get. Pocket PC Techs' C2 and AG screen protectors are as hard as each other, and both are of a very high quality.

I have some crappy fellowes writeright clear protectors that get "cloudy" and show scratches pretty quickly. I would buy the custom fitted ones for my pda, but i would prefer to buy a pack of ones that i could cut myself for pda use, cellphone use, etc. It's hard to find the crystal-clear protectors that are store bought (bbuy, ccity,etc) that are good quality--not to mention finding anti-glare options.

If you can, steer clear of screen protectors from companies like Fellowes and Belkin. They haven't received glowing reviews. I still stand by Pocket PC Techs' offerings, though there are a couple of other brands out there that are worth a look.

Janak Parekh
10-10-2006, 03:43 PM
If you can, steer clear of screen protectors from companies like Fellowes and Belkin. They haven't received glowing reviews.
That's an extreme understatement. Their screen protectors are, frankly, crap. I never used a screen protector for years on my Pocket PC after seeing those... but now that I tried Pocket PC Techs' solution, it's like night and day. The screen protector looks like new, six months from when it was first installed. I haven't had to wash it, replace it, or do anything special. And installation was a snap.

The Belkin/Fellowes ones are certainly cheaper, but you go through them so quickly, the price surprisingly evens out -- and that's not including the time and hassle that it takes to maintain them.

--janak