View Full Version : WinXP MediaPlayer always launches ActiveSync???!!!

Fedorov
10-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Hi all,

Hoping someone has seen a solution for this one please...

On my Windows XP SP2 machine whenever Windows Media Player is loaded it then tries to load ActiveSync.

ActiveSync then adds itself back into my windows startup to load everytime windows starts! I manually remove the startup entry each time as I don't want ActiveSync running on my machine all the time, I only want to load it when I need it.

2 questions then please:

1) How to stop Windows Media Player launching ActiveSync for whatever reason

2) How to stop ActiveSync from adding itself back into my windows startup list

Many thanks!!!

Fedorov.

Brad Adrian
10-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Try this:

On your desktop PC, open ActiveSync and under Tools/Options, make sure that "Media" is not selected.

Fedorov
10-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but I have nothing at all ticked under there to begin with :(

Fedorov
10-06-2006, 12:47 AM
This explains a lot, and no real fix to it...
http://www.micrologics.co.uk/library/ast/support.htm

Janak Parekh
10-06-2006, 04:19 AM
Actually, I think this subject has come up before. You may find this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44739) to be of help, and possibly the last post in particular.

Out of curiosity -- why do you want to not run AS 4.x on startup? Typically, AS uses no CPU if a Pocket PC is not cradled.

--janak

isajoo
10-06-2006, 05:59 AM
try this app... it should stop activesync from loading all the time.
should work.

link
http://www.micrologics.co.uk/library/ast/index.htm

Janak Parekh
10-06-2006, 03:45 PM
try this app... it should stop activesync from loading all the time.
should work.
As you will notice, the original poster posted a link to that very app's FAQ that clearly states it can't. ;)

--janak

Fedorov
10-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks all,

I've resolved both problems, in answer to your question Janak I maybe hook my PocketPCs (HP hx4700 and HTC TyTn) once every month - if that, to update some software. So my principal on my lean mean machine is why should I let it sit running? :) Friends always wonder why my machine is always so fast, I only have Outpost Pro Firewall and Kaspersky Anti-Virus running in the tray, no other software runs on my machine.

Out of principal I completely disagree with ANY piece of software that thinks it has a given right to run all the time, or if you try and kill it it leaves itself in your startup routine ready for next boot :(

So I got that ActiveSyncToggle tool, I can simply run this to activate ActiveSync on the odd occasion when I need it, then run it again to shutdown ActiveSync and it also removes the horrid thing from windows startup :)

Again we've got stupid windows media player thinks it can decide that I MUST have activesync running at ALL TIMES so that one was an easy fix...
I've installed VLC Media Player which can play ANY video/audio file you can throw at it, so basically WMP doesn't get to run anymore and can't launch Activesync :) :) :)

Gotta take the bull by it's horns sometimes hehe.

Fedorov.

Janak Parekh
10-07-2006, 07:10 PM
I've resolved both problems, in answer to your question Janak I maybe hook my PocketPCs (HP hx4700 and HTC TyTn) once every month - if that, to update some software. So my principal on my lean mean machine is why should I let it sit running? :)
Well, of course it's up to you. :) For better or worse, though, ActiveSync was designed to run at all times. Fortunately, when it's running but not cradled it uses very little CPU. Of course, there's a memory footprint. As far as I know, it'll be even more integrated into the OS in Vista, so you may not have that choice. <shrug>

But at least you found a solution that works for you, and that's all that matters. In terms of relative bloat, I'd say WMP is comparatively more bloated than ActiveSync, anyway. ;)

--janak