View Full Version : Can someone help me pick a PPC Phone... I'm sorta on a budget too...

Irrefutable
10-04-2006, 01:56 AM
OK... so I"m looking to spend no more than $400, knowing that we can throw out all the "latest" and "new" gadgets and all... So I'm looking for a PPC Phone that can do the following things... oh, and I'm looking to buy without a plan (on ebay).

Things I want:

*Bluetooth
*WiFi
*Camera (doesn't have to be anything special, but I know the kids love playing with the camera on my phone and the one on my phone now is 0.3 megapixel I think)
*GSM (as I live in Vancouver and am subscribed to Rogers)
*sturdy (can take a few knocks but doesn't have to be bulletproof :D)
*view ebooks
*hopefully edit documents and excel for homework
*a qwerty keypad (if possible, cuz I like to text message)
*speakerphone
*MP3 capable
*e-mailing

Is it possible to find such a PPC phone for the price I'm limiting my self to?

If so could you help me make a list of possible choices for me?

So far what I have come up with is this...

- HP IPAQ 6315 *don't like the keypad as separate attachment*
- Palm Treo 650 *no wifi*
- Cingular 8125

I don't know about other brands really, I've seen Qtek, Eten, Samsung and things like that but those all seem to be top of the line PPC Phones... I can't afford those... so if someone could help me find a good middle phone that will be able to do the things I mentioned, as well as give me decent to good quality it would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance for all your help :) 8)

bkerrins
10-04-2006, 03:46 AM
You might look at the Seimens SX66 (eBay). No camera, but most of your other requirements. I had one and liked it quite a bit...but I suspect I was rare, most reviews weren't stellar. But again, it worked well for me.

Menneisyys
10-04-2006, 06:24 AM
For $400, you can already get a HTC Wizard (a.k.a. imate K-Jam, T-Mobile MDA Vario, Qtek 9100, MDA Vario, XDA mini S, SPV M3000, VPA Compact II, Dopod 838). Go for it, you won't regret it.

ADBrown
10-04-2006, 06:42 AM
I'd go with the Cingular 8125 or another Wizard variant like it. It's the best device you'll get for that kind of price, and quite good. The version that's sold as the T-Mobile MDA has arguably a slightly nicer design than the Cingular equivalent.

Irrefutable
10-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks for your input everyone... I guess the general consensus then is that the Cingular 8125 the PPCPE device for me, I'll try to get a good deal on it on EBAY then :)...

So far I've come across only one "drawback" to it, which is its processing power... but I highly doubt that I'll be a "power user" when it comes to PPCPE devices.

again, thanks for all your help :)

Menneisyys
10-05-2006, 08:44 PM
So far I've come across only one "drawback" to it, which is its processing power... but I highly doubt that I'll be a "power user" when it comes to PPCPE devices.

I'm a superpower user and find the Wizard's processing power sufficient even w/o overclocking. Just ignore people that say "hey, it only has a 195 MHz CPU, it must be darn slow." They are wrong.

You'll love the Wizard.

Fedorov
10-05-2006, 09:09 PM
I've just last week got myself the HTC TyTn - I've got my previous imate JAM for sale don't know if you'd be interested but I need rid of it, I'm in the UK so we'd need to see if shipping and anything else would get in the way if you or anyone else is interested.

Regards,

Fedorov.

Menneisyys
10-06-2006, 07:44 AM
I've just last week got myself the HTC TyTn - I've got my previous imate JAM for sale don't know if you'd be interested but I need rid of it, I'm in the UK so we'd need to see if shipping and anything else would get in the way if you or anyone else is interested.

Regards,

Fedorov.

(Just a quick remark for Irrefutable: the i-mate JAM, that is, the HTC Magician (if Fedorov meant that) is not the same as K-Jam (that is, the HTC Wizard). )

Cybrid
10-06-2006, 08:38 PM
*GSM (as I live in Vancouver and am subscribed to Rogers) If you ever need a hand with becoming a power user....
www.vancouverpocketpc.com Just a bunch of people with Windows Devices that meet once a month to discuss tips and share gossip...