View Full Version : Hosted Exchange To Keep Your Device Up To Date

Ed Hansberry
10-02-2006, 04:00 PM
<a href="http://www.writingonyourpalm.net/2006/09/29/going-wireless-part-1-hosted-exchange/">http://www.writingonyourpalm.net/2006/09/29/going-wireless-part-1-hosted-exchange/</a><br /><br /><i>"From the beginning, Microsoft ActiveSync has provided a “no thinking required” approach to syncing your data. Whenever something changes on either end, the device and PC sync automatically. Works great, except for one thing. You still have to remember to plug the device in to the PC in the first place. I usually do this, because I like to keep the battery topped off, but I do miss from time to time, usually when I’m in a hurry. And when I’m in a hurry, of course, is when I need flawless syncing the most. Enter hosted Exchange, courtesy of 4Smartphone.net. There are a variety of hosted Exchange providers out there, but I’ve found 4Smartphone to be the best balance of price and service."</i><br /><br />Jeff Kirvin has discovered the wonder of ActiveSync via Exchange 2003. If you have it at your office, you know how good it is. If you don't, you can still get a hosted account for a few dollars a month. Jeff has also figured out a way to keep all of his email at his GMail account and use the Hosted Exchange solution to keep up to date. That may be of interest to some of you that don't want to switch their email address from one of the big free services or don't want to move their MX record to 4Smartphone.

ricksfiona
10-02-2006, 06:09 PM
I only use my SmartPhone's USB cable to charge up the phone and not for ActiveSync for several months.. I sync via GPRS..

I love Hosted Exchange and always recommend to ALMOST everyone that they use it as well. Of course, it's only as good as the company hosting it which is why I use mailstreet.com. A great company with great support and still one of the few that hasn't outsourced their support overseas... :lol:

Marcel_Proust
10-02-2006, 06:23 PM
I would highly recommend TheMessageCenter. I found them to have the best prices, and the best support. They also have a very easy set up program that automatically configures Outlook.

ricoks
10-02-2006, 08:19 PM
In the article he mentions setting up rules in his exchnage. i assume this is for disseminating email to various folders depending on where they came from, who they're sent to, subject, etc. is this what he meant, or am I missing something. I can set up rules in outlook for my hosted exchange, but i havne't seen how to set up rules, yet. i use 1and1 BTW because it's only $6.99 billable in quarters (easier on pocketbook).
what do you find with your companies re: rules set up on the server??
thanks

Jeff Kirvin
10-02-2006, 08:43 PM
In the article he mentions setting up rules in his exchnage. i assume this is for disseminating email to various folders depending on where they came from, who they're sent to, subject, etc. is this what he meant, or am I missing something. I can set up rules in outlook for my hosted exchange, but i havne't seen how to set up rules, yet. i use 1and1 BTW because it's only $6.99 billable in quarters (easier on pocketbook).
what do you find with your companies re: rules set up on the server??
thanks
Outlook supports server-side rules and client-side rules. Some rules have to be client-side, but I set up mostly server-side rules in Outlook Web Access.

Majestic
10-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Posting this from my treo 700w. I use 4smartphone as well and I can never go back to the old way of synching. I love having 3 notebooks, 1 pc, and my treo all updated when I make a change on either of them. I find that my wife can now make appointments for me nice and easy. for me it requires unlimited data via verizon but now that I do it its too hard to go back to the old way. :)

WorksForTurkeys
10-02-2006, 11:02 PM
I was interested, but when I attempted to access the "Free Trial" to see how the "push email" support worked as offerred on their site and, on ads they placed on other sites, I was repeatedly bounced to the paid service plans with no opportunity to try the service (again within the last 5 minutes) before paying. Seems a little slippery to me, especially for a service claiming to be "secure" and trustworthy. Maybe I should look elsewhere.

tendomentis
10-03-2006, 02:58 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mail2Web yet. I forward all my gmail and my corporate email to my mail2web account which pushes my email to my handheld. I have two "send-only" accounts set up on my handheld so I can reply and send emails from either my personal or professional email.

Best yet, mail2web is free.