View Full Version : No bottom tray icons in WM5?

CMeys
09-29-2006, 08:45 PM
In older operating systems, I had various icons available in the bottom tray for certain programs. For example, in message the icons to connect and disconnect, etc. Or in ListPro the icons used to filter the lists. None of those appear in WM5. I assume it is because of the menu items for the soft keys that are there. Is there any way to restore these icons? It is much faster to use them than to go through the program menus. Thank you.

jlp
09-30-2006, 05:07 AM
This seems to be one of the idiot-syncrasies :twisted: that characterizes WiMP 5.0.

Some programs do allow the user to switch between the old-style, much more efficient menu/icons bar and the new, 2-warts-type bar.

Sven Johannsen
09-30-2006, 09:51 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a program that gives you a choice. I have seen a good number of older programs that come up with the old menu bar even on a WM5 machine. I gather it is whether the program is compiled to understand the soft keys or not. If it is, loaded on a WM5 device, that's what you get. Load it on a WM2003 and you get menus. Write it so it doesn't support soft keys and Steve Ballmer will come to your house and suggest you get with the program ;)

You must understand that functionality is not near as important as consistancy and commonality :?

ctmagnus
10-01-2006, 12:53 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a program that gives you a choice.

PhatPad lets you switch between the two styles. Without a restart, even.

jlp
10-01-2006, 01:12 AM
I read Pocket Informant 2007 has that too.

Sven Johannsen
10-01-2006, 01:40 AM
Hmm, nice of them. Couple of programs I don't use. Can't say I'm a big fan of the soft keys on PPCs, but hey, everybody clamors about onehanded/stylus-less use, and this helps enable it, so there they are.

CMeys
10-01-2006, 02:20 AM
I really miss them in ListPro -- with the icons it was a matter of one tap to filter the list or toggle items on and off -- without them it is necessary to drill down through a few levels of the menus :(

At least I know I'm not crazy in missing them!

Janak Parekh
10-01-2006, 04:27 AM
Hmm, nice of them. Couple of programs I don't use. Can't say I'm a big fan of the soft keys on PPCs, but hey, everybody clamors about onehanded/stylus-less use, and this helps enable it, so there they are.
I am a huge fan of them, although as a Pocket PC Phone user, I tend to use my Pocket PC one-handed a lot. For me, it's worth the tradeoff.

--janak

Ilium Software
10-02-2006, 02:41 PM
I really miss them in ListPro -- with the icons it was a matter of one tap to filter the list or toggle items on and off -- without them it is necessary to drill down through a few levels of the menus :(

At least I know I'm not crazy in missing them!

Hi,

We feel your pain. The same thing happened when Pocket PCs came out and there was not such thing as an "Exit" menu item (Palmsize PC had Exit for those of you who remember.)

We are looking at some solutions for the next version of ListPro. Most likely it wouldn't be a 'rever to old style' option but it would help to resolve this problem.

Marc Tassin
Ilium Software
--------------------
[email protected]
+1 (734) 973-9388
---------------------
http://www.iliumsoft.com

And be sure check out our new blog! http://blog.iliumsoft.com/