View Full Version : BAck up for pocket PC

Kim10
09-29-2006, 05:01 PM
Hi

I have got a pocket PC with Microsoft Windows Mobile. I have got ActiveSync 4.2 but do not use it to synchronize my calendar and contacts and these details on my desktop is for work and my pocket pc is for private use.
My question is, how do I then back up my calendar and contacts on the pocket PC, do I have to get separate software, can I do it via ActiveSync?

Hope somebody can help as my knowledge is limited.

Best regards
Kim

tabenate
09-29-2006, 07:43 PM
Without additional software you are pretty much limited to Activesync. It backs up your whole PPC: go to Tools & there you'll find Backup / Restore.

I highly recommend you search the forums here for some pretty comprehensive articles written by Menneisyys on backup software.

palur
09-29-2006, 10:33 PM
You could select what you want to backup with SPB backup or sprite backup on to your memory card if you have one on your pocket pc. then you do not have to go through activesync.
I hope this is what wanted.

Mark Kenepp
09-29-2006, 10:33 PM
ActiveSync 4.2 does not have a backup utility. Your only option is to use a third party program and backup to a removable storage card.

Two commercial products that are available are:

Spb Backup (http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/backup/?en)

and

Sprite Backup (http://www.spritesoftware.com/backup.php)

I am not going to give you a recommendation for which one to choose but I will say that Spb Backup does come in a trial version so you can see how it works. :wink:

haesslich
09-29-2006, 10:44 PM
Also, if you read the post about "Everything you need to know about backing up your Pocket PC" just a few threads down, that should give you some ideas as to the capabilities and limitations of the various third-party programs.

Menneisyys
09-30-2006, 10:10 AM
Without additional software you are pretty much limited to Activesync. It backs up your whole PPC: go to Tools & there you'll find Backup / Restore.

Please note that it'll only work with pre-WM5 devices.

freemans
10-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Active Sync is a pretty bad choice for backing up your device, any backup in Menneisys' article will do better than AS, as far as its compatible version.

Sprite Backup or SPB are good ones.