View Full Version : OS for X5

ryanbrown
09-27-2006, 04:05 AM
Is it possible to upgrade my X5's os from Pocket PC 2003 to Windows Mobile 5?

If not is there any other ways to make the X5 direct sync with outlook?

Thanks for all the help.

Darius Wey
09-27-2006, 04:14 AM
Unfortunately, the X5 cannot be upgraded to Windows Mobile 5.0.

Now, "direct sync" is open to multiple interpretations. Are you referring to a solution such as this (http://www.dataviz.com/products/roadsync/winmobile/) (which is only compatible with Windows Mobile 2003 SE, unfortunately)?

ryanbrown
09-27-2006, 04:29 AM
So I quess I am stuck with my current OS unless I upgrade? Maybe it is time to call on old Dell again.

Darius Wey
09-27-2006, 04:36 AM
So I quess I am stuck with my current OS unless I upgrade? Maybe it is time to call on old Dell again.

The X51v is a solid unit, though if you feel it's time to move to a converged device (for direct push), it's best to look elsewhere. Dell has no Phone Edition devices in the pipeline.

PetiteFlower
09-27-2006, 05:44 AM
And I hope they won't in the near future either, they're the only US company making decent non-phone PDA's right now!

Brad Adrian
10-06-2006, 12:34 AM
And I hope they won't in the near future either, they're the only US company making decent non-phone PDA's right now!
That's a pretty heretical thing to say, but I agree with you 100%! I am still sold on my system of using separate, rock-solid phone and Pocket PC devices.

PetiteFlower
10-06-2006, 03:18 AM
Yeah, we are the few, the proud, the many-pocket-having. I still think devices that try to be phone, PDA, and music player end up being mediocre at all of them, plus you have 3 functions trying to share one battery, AND they cost too much! So I have 3 separate devices and *gasp* it doesn't even bother me! I never have to worry about listening to music for too long and not having any battery left to make phone calls or anything like that, and if I'm going somewhere that I don't need one of them, I can leave it at home.

peterg
10-13-2006, 05:56 AM

I find that sentence very ironic. Through not fault of yours because it's not that well known, but quite a few PocketPCs, PocketPC Phone Edition and SmartPhones are actually made by the same company, HTC.

HTC makes the Dell x50 and x51 lines as well as all the Compaq and HP iPaq devices and even the Pocket Loox and a couple of Treo devices. However, I would suspect that each individual company supplies it's own specifications for the devices.

Have a look at this pdf: http://x.msmobiles.com/portal/downloads/htc-chart-msmobiles_com.pdf. Although it's a bit old it covers alot of devices.

PetiteFlower
10-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Picky picky...I meant they're the only ones DESIGNING and PUTTING OUT these devices ok?