View Full Version : HP iPaq 4150 earphone hardware problem

Shmanky
09-26-2006, 02:16 AM
I own the HP iPaq 4150. It has a hardware problem with the headphone jack at the top of the unit. There seems to be some kind of loose connection because when I insert the earphones the left speaker cuts out, unless I wiggle the jack, then I get both sides. It sounds like it would be a problem with the headset, but it's not, because I get the same symptoms with another headset.

I know a friend who owns the 4155 model and reports the same problem. He tells me he also has a friend who reports the same problem.

I called HP support and was told I can send it in, but since it's no longer under warranty I'm looking for advice on these forums. Before posting I searched for "ipaq 4150 jack." I thought I might be able to open up the device myself and solder.. something :p Or take it in to a small shop in my city?

I haven't tried a hard-reset yet as I'm convinced it's a hardware problem.

Thanks.

Darius Wey
09-26-2006, 03:43 AM
You could contact Pocket PC Techs (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/) for service. They're far more reliable and usually more affordable than HP Support.

Shmanky
10-07-2006, 05:38 PM
So I started to open up my h4150. I removed 4 Torx T-5 screws, 2 at the top, 2 at the bottom. Then behind the sticker that says "Warranty void if removed" was a Torx T-5 screw and what I'm led to believe because of what I read on pdasmart.com is a "00 Phillips" screw. So I removed the fifth Torx T-5 screw but was stopped by the 00 Phillips screw. So I abandoned open it up, and went to turn on the unit and I found that it had hard reset. Fortunately I didn't really lose anything because I keep data on my SD or HP partition, but I'm confused as to why it hard reset. I'm sure I wasn't holding the reset button and pressing the power button.

Anyone know why this happened? I think I'm going to just send it in either to HP or pocketpctechs.com or pdasmart.com instead of risk breaking it when I open it.

Janak Parekh
10-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Sounds like you somehow disconnected the battery(ies), which before long will have the same effect.

--janak

Shmanky
10-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Does the little watch battery get drained if the main battery is removed? I guess it would have to. Does the watch battery get recharged from the main battery or AC? I've never seen the little battery below 100% charge.

Thanks (:

Janak Parekh
10-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Does the little watch battery get drained if the main battery is removed? I guess it would have to.
Yes.

Does the watch battery get recharged from the main battery or AC? I've never seen the little battery below 100% charge.
Depends on the type of the battery. If it's a lithium (not LiIon), then probably not. The intent of that battery is only to support the device for a few minutes while you swap main batteries.

--janak