View Full Version : Upgrading from one WM2005 device to another

courtmagician
09-22-2006, 08:26 PM
I'm not sure if this is a stupid question, but it shouldn't hurt to ask. I was wondering that if I took a backup program like SPB Backup and created a backup image of my device (potentially a T-Mobile MDA Vario), then took that image and ran it on another device (say the HTC TyTN), would it be an easy transition, or am I just fooling myself? I mean, would I have a proper image of my files installed, etc, as these are both WM 2005, or would it not work because these are different devices?

I was thinking of getting the MDA Vario either until the Vario II comes out, or as just a temporary solution until I can afford the TyTN (I have a BenQ P50 with a failing touch screen right now).

Menneisyys
09-24-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm not sure if this is a stupid question, but it shouldn't hurt to ask. I was wondering that if I took a backup program like SPB Backup and created a backup image of my device (potentially a T-Mobile MDA Vario), then took that image and ran it on another device (say the HTC TyTN), would it be an easy transition, or am I just fooling myself? I mean, would I have a proper image of my files installed, etc, as these are both WM 2005, or would it not work because these are different devices?

I was thinking of getting the MDA Vario either until the Vario II comes out, or as just a temporary solution until I can afford the TyTN (I have a BenQ P50 with a failing touch screen right now).

It's better to reinstall everything. For one, Spb Backup isn't capable of Device Upgrade mode (unlike Sprite Backup, which I'll explain in my forthcoming Backup Roundup). But even the Device Upgrade mode seems to be too weak when transferring the stuff to a completely different device.

courtmagician
09-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks so much for the reply. I actually have both back-up software, having recently aquired SPB (which seemed easier to do back-up/restore with on my BenQ while I was doing hard resets).

I agree with you that it does seem easier to just re-installing. I bought my (temporary) MDA Vario (HTC Wizard) and did reinstall things - mainly to make sure everything I had would work on WM 2005 and would play nice together - and found it to be a cleaner way to get things onto the machine. I think my biggest concern was transferring over all the settings and such, but with the ecent re-installing, I found that it wasn't as bad as I imagined to just reset everything the way I wanted it.

freemans
09-25-2006, 01:09 AM
Agree, SPB can not transfer between devices or upgraded ROM, and Sprite Guarantee a complete restore after ROM upgrade not the migrant devices. \

I have tried Migranting with Sprite Backup, the two devices are similar smartphone, it worked all right, I nearly get everything back, but a duplicated todat menu, which can be deleted easily, then I assume it worth to try if two device is not TOO different, such as different solution screen, different device typr: PPC to SM, :mrgreen:

freemans
09-25-2006, 01:09 AM
Agree, SPB can not transfer between devices or upgraded ROM, and Sprite Guarantee a complete restore after ROM upgrade not the migrant devices. \

I have tried Migranting with Sprite Backup, the two devices are similar smartphone, it worked all right, I nearly get everything back, but a duplicated todat menu, which can be deleted easily, then I assume it worth to try if two device is not TOO different, such as different solution screen, different device typr: PPC to SM, :mrgreen: