View Full Version : Activesync 4.5 BETA 2 Available for Download

Nurhisham Hussein
09-19-2006, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0e19bd46-f101-4852-96aa-398cb3b54681&DisplayLang=en' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&DisplayLang=en</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5 is the latest sync software release for Windows Mobile-powered devices. ActiveSync provides a great synchronization experience with Windows®-powered PCs and Microsoft Outlook right out of the box."</i><br /><br />The latest update for Activesync is into its second beta release and is now available for download. This release features bug fixes for setup, partnerships, and connectivity issues with PCs and Exchange servers. It also includes a troubleshooter utility (about time :roll: ) to diagnose and help solve potential issues. As always with BETA software - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Problems that have already cropped up with this update are loss of partnership settings and a cleared add/remove programs list. Still, it's good to see Microsoft continuing to progress in resolving AS issues.

paschott
09-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Cool, but I'd love to know what's actually new. Improvements are always good, but syncing over WiFi is still disabled (per feedback from Enterprise customers of course - why not give them tools to disable it at their office and let Joe User still have the ability to use it if he wants to?), and I can't see anything detailed about what's changed/updated.

Anyone have any experience with what's improved? Can we now set up a partnership directly with Bluetooth?

-Pete

Mark Johnson
09-19-2006, 11:53 PM
Doesn't look like they've made any progress on syncing with an Exchange Public Folder yet...

fone_fanatic
09-20-2006, 01:33 AM
Did i really sleep for that long? Last i remember it was 4.2 Beta2, why the sudden jump to 4.5 if nothings added?

Darius Wey
09-20-2006, 02:35 AM
...and I can't see anything detailed about what's changed/updated.

Did you download the readme file?

Feature: Improved USB support
Benefit: ActiveSync 4.5 provides the fastest USB transport between your desktop PC and your mobile device to date.

Feature: View Exchange Server Synchronization status on your PC
Benefit: You can now view server synchronization status while synchronizing with a Microsoft Exchange server through your desktop PC's internet connection.

Feature: Synchronization of pictures in Contacts on your mobile device with Outlook
Benefit: If an Outlook contact is associated with a picture, ActiveSync now synchronizes the associated picture from Outlook on your desktop PC to your mobile device.
Note: Microsoft Outlook XP or Microsoft Outlook 2003 is required to use this feature.

Feature: Easier to identify friendly device names
Benefit: ActiveSync now supports friendly names for devices, making it easier to identify the device that you want to sync with over a Bluetooth or an infrared (IR) connection.
Note: ActiveSync uses your Windows login name to generate an unique device partnership ID. This login name may be broadcast to other users such as with Bluetooth discovery broadcasts.

Feature: Synchronization over a Bluetooth connection with your PC
Benefit: ActiveSync 4.5 now enables you to synchronize data with your PC over a Bluetooth connection.

Feature: Integration with Windows Media Player 10
Benefit: Easier to discover, configure, and access Windows Media Player 10 music, video and photo from ActiveSync. Also facilitates automatic synchronization of media even when Windows Media Player 10 is not currently running on a desktop PC.

Feature: Enhanced user interface and enhanced new partnership wizard
Benefit: Easier to locate key features, access the most important configuration settings, and configure the device upon first synchronization.

Feature: Synchronize Internet Explorer Mobile favorites to a Windows Mobile-based Smartphone
Benefit: Already available on Windows Mobile-based Pocket PC devices, this feature syncs Internet Explorer Mobile favorites on a desktop PC with a Windows Mobile-based Smartphone.

Feature: More robust synchronization with Outlook
Benefit: Synchronization with Outlook is now more reliable and robust than before.

Feature: Configure synchronization settings prior to first synchronization, including custom synchronization settings
Benefit: Configure all the ActiveSync options you need in a single step.

Eriq Cook
09-20-2006, 08:11 AM
I've used about 9 times since last night (downloaded literally 5 minutes after posted on betanews). Only thing that I've noticed is slightly modified user interface, with "incomplete" looking graphics/sync animation (graphics are really choppy).

Haven't noticed a gain or decrease in performance or new features aside from troubleshooting wizard.

barnyard
09-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Didn't work for me. Couldn't sync with my Treo 700w. At least I could go back to 4.2. I honestly have no idea why I ever try beta software. I am an idiot.

victore
09-20-2006, 08:32 AM
I installed this hoping that it would fix a pre-existing problem. I ususally synch my Qtek 9100 with my 4smartphone.net Exchange account. Last night, I noticed that I couldn't synch and the support code was 800703fa. I reset my device several times, uninstalled the last bunch of programs, disabled Today screen plugins, and ran MemMaid. In the end, I still couldn't synch. I contacted 4smartphone's support line and they suggested I delete my Exchange profile, and re-enter it. I emailed them back that I wanted to make sure deleting the profile and re-enabling it would not result in duplicate entries.

While I was waiting for their reply, I saw the post about a new version of ActiveSync and it's improvement with Exchange synchronization. I took a chance and installed it and told the program that I was using a Exchange server. I noticed right away that it had pulled all of my Exchange ActiveSync settings from my device. When I told it to sync, it came up with the same support code.

alese
09-20-2006, 09:34 AM
...and I can't see anything detailed about what's changed/updated.

Feature: Synchronization over a Bluetooth connection with your PC
Benefit: ActiveSync 4.5 now enables you to synchronize data with your PC over a Bluetooth connection.

OK, maybe I don't understand this feature, but I have been syncronizing with my PCs over bluetooth for few years now, and since I moved to WM5 devices and AS4 this is my exclusive syncing method.

Darius Wey
09-20-2006, 05:15 PM
OK, maybe I don't understand this feature, but I have been syncronizing with my PCs over bluetooth for few years now, and since I moved to WM5 devices and AS4 this is my exclusive syncing method.

Upon further examination, it appears that the list contains all new v4.x features, not just v4.5 ones. :(

mattbugz
09-20-2006, 08:51 PM
I like the idea of synchronizing pictures with Outlook since I have a PDA phone, but I think I'll wait on this round of betas.

Phillip Dyson
09-21-2006, 04:06 AM
I like the idea of two-way category filtering. It sure would be nice to have that included. :twak:

Ed Hansberry
09-21-2006, 10:39 AM
I like the idea of synchronizing pictures with Outlook since I have a PDA phone, but I think I'll wait on this round of betas.
All versions of AS4 support that if you have WM5.

zoz33
09-21-2006, 11:49 AM
I had the troubleshooter working before 4.5 BETA was even available.. Check out Screenshots at http://mdinana.blogspot.com/2006/09/activesync-trouble-shooter.html

aquanaut
09-22-2006, 06:05 AM
After 3-days the only fix I've found is for synching with a directpush server -- now defaults to Manual for both peak and off-peak hours. AS v4.1/4.2 defaulted to "as items arrive" on my dopod CHT9000 and I'd have to go through the 'set-up a temp server, change the schedules, then delete the server to make the 'manual' settings stick.

From the desktop AS application, at the bottom of the tools menu are two new additions:

- a solution for installing device certificates :D
- information rights management activation :evil:

Both seem to be inactive in this beta -- I would really like to install my SBS server's certificate for both directpush and owa sessions.

Cheers