View Full Version : How to read chinese e-book with either Isilo or Teamone reader?????

arehopeless
09-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Hi everyone,

I am new ppc user and I currently own a HP Ipaq 3115 running 2003se. Its native language is english. I was trying to read chinese hymnals with this device. I tried install isilo and teamone to my ppc and my hymnal files won't show any chinese characters but funny letters. Fogot to mention that my ppc is equiped with Monster chinese which allows me to read chinese bibles and word files. Interesting enough that I can read chinesee bibles and word files but just there are no chinese showing up on either Isilo and Teamone reader and no luck for chinese websites in internet explore either. I don't know what is going on with this machine. It gives me a lot of headache to try to figure it out. I was very frastrated with this device now and almost wanted to giveup.

So, please help me on this if you are a experienced ppc lover or prefessional. I knew that there are tricks and tweaks out there but I just can not find them after endless web searching.

I will be really appreciated if you could help me out or share your experience.

Thanks again. :cry:

SteveHoward999
09-18-2006, 09:02 PM
Sounds like you need to find a Chinese font to install. Looks like you can get one here

http://download.handango.com/shareware/96464/Chinese_Traditional_font.exe

I also found another application that appears to give Chinese support for web browsing, but it also appears to duplicte some of the features you have with Monster Chinese.

http://www.pocketgear.com/pocketpcworld/software_detail.asp?id=11203

JesterMania
09-19-2006, 01:50 AM
Have you tried what I said in your other post (which is literally a duplicate of what you posted here)?

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=417429#417429

arehopeless
09-19-2006, 03:54 AM
Thanks both of you, SteveHoward999 and JesterMania. You are both are the greatest help for me.

I have followed Steve's instuction and installed Traditional Chinese font.exe to my ppc. However, my chinese ebook still showing up funny letters.

And then, I was download the JesterMania's Asukal e-china V3. What happened is that the file I was donwloading was a cab file containing three small files (vince font I guess) and I did not know how to install them to my ppc. So, JesterMara. would you please give me some instruction on that. Thanks.

Buy the way, I guess that my main problem is that isilo and teamone reader can not encode the chinese character. Since I have already had Monster Chinese loaded in my ppc, it does same thing as what anyother chinese fonts do. But without proper encoding, chinese characters won't show up.

I also had a ppc regeidt programe installed in my ppc. Having read "Read and write chinese on O2 atom" posted by iunaticgal on Mypdacafe.com forum, I double checked my fontlink registy file. They are all connect to my Macfont which is offered by Monster Chinese. I am sure there are might be other registry I have to edit and I just don't know how and what they are. Again, my internect explore still can not read chinese website as well. That will be the next on my list.

Thanks again for your help and much appreciated.

SteveHoward999
09-19-2006, 04:00 AM
Maybe you should ask the makers of these tools if they support double-byte fonts? Or Unicode?

JesterMania
09-19-2006, 04:04 AM
The reason you cannot read Chinese websites (even though you may have Chinese fonts installed) is due to no codepage support for Asian languages in the wince.nls file. By installing e-China V3, you get both the Chinese font AND the necessary wince.nls to give you Chinese encoding (it also inserts the proper registry entries).

To install the .cab file, copy it anywhere onto your PPC, then tap once on the .cab file. It will then take you through the installation procedures. Once e-China V3 is installed, be sure to soft-reset your PPC for changes to take effect.

By the way, most programs bundled with the Windows Mobile OS should be fully unicode-compatible (such as Pocket Inbox, Pocket Word, etc.), meaning with the right wince.nls file, most programs can display the language you choose. However, some 3rd-party programs just aren't unicode-compatible and refuse displaying other languages even if your PPC is set up properly. Web display with Pocket IE is no problem though, I read Japanese fine on my device.

EDIT: Haha, stevehoward beat me to it on the last paragraph. 8)

arehopeless
09-19-2006, 04:16 AM
Hi JesterMania,

It works!!!! You are unblievable and you are a absolutely genius. I have been looking for the answer for a month and no one can solve this problem for me.

Thanks again and also thanks Steve for your help too.

You guys are my heros.

SteveHoward999
09-19-2006, 04:28 AM
EDIT: Haha, stevehoward beat me to it on the last paragraph. 8)

Woohoo - I *never* win! :-)

pilling
09-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Hello All,

I am new to pda and am only a computer user, so please excuse my ignorance.

I have been following this thread and have Chinese fonts on my ppc. I can read Chinese ebooks and documents, however I still cannot read Chinese websites.

I downloaded ChinaFEP_No5 and Asukal e-China V3.cab. When I install Asukal I got two messages ; "\Windows\sunglobe.ttf" is in use or is in ROM. If the file is not in ROM, please close the application using the file. When I cancel this message the second message reads : The application may not work correctly if the file "\Windows\sunglobe.ttf" is not copied. Try copying again? When I click try copying again, it just reverts back to the first message.

What to do?

Thanks,
Maggie

JesterMania
09-23-2006, 04:34 AM
I downloaded ChinaFEP_No5 and Asukal e-China V3.cab. When I install Asukal I got two messages ; "\Windows\sunglobe.ttf" is in use or is in ROM. If the file is not in ROM, please close the application using the file. When I cancel this message the second message reads : The application may not work correctly if the file "\Windows\sunglobe.ttf" is not copied. Try copying again? When I click try copying again, it just reverts back to the first message.

Hmm...strange. First of all, only use e-China V3 (http://www.asukal.jp/Asukal%20e-chinaV3.cab) if you are using WM2003. If you are using WM5, please use e-China V5 (http://www.asukal.jp/WM5/echinaNo5.zip). If that does not solve your problem, it seems it is conflicting with another program you have installed. I don't know what "ChinaFEP_No5" is, but you probably don't need that. If you have other programs such as CE Star installed (which also uses sunglobe.ttf), please remove it before installing e-China.

pilling
09-23-2006, 08:07 AM
Hello Jester,

Thank you for spending your time considering my problem and the information given.

The conflict, whatever it was, resolved itself. Askual was installed and I can now read Chinese website. Fantastic.

Maggie

arehopeless
11-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Jester,

I just got a Treo 680. Do you think that I could do the same thing to make my treo 680 reads chinese?

Thanks a lot in advance.

James23
02-24-2008, 06:19 AM
It will then take you through the installation procedures. Once e-China V3 is installed, be sure to soft-reset your PPC for changes to take effect.