View Full Version : Developing Software for the Pocket PC

powercx
09-14-2006, 12:28 AM
I've been interested in programming software for the Pocket PC Devices, but never got the chance to find out which software I need. I'm not talking about complex programming yet, maybe a little later, but I'm talking about creating a program for my son.

I remember I use to create a program for my Quadratic Equation for Math in my Texas Instrument Calculator TI-86 and I would program it to actually display how I got the answer rather than just giving me the answer.

So it's more for simple things like that, or maybe a simple game like Hangman.

So how do I get started? Which software do I need from microsoft?

kjliew
09-14-2006, 03:48 AM
Several options are available depending on which Pocket PC platform you're targeting.

#1 MS Visual Studio 2005 (90-trial or $$$)+ WM5 SDK (free)
#2 MS Embedded Visual C++ 4.0 SP4 (free) + WM2003 SDK (free)
#3 MS Embedded Visual C++ 3.0 - 2002 edition - PPC2002+SP2002 SDK included (free). Also include Embedded Visual Basic.

#1 is the recommended by Microsoft for developing software for WM5.
#2 is the best option for hobbyist developers because it's FREE. Cannot take advantage of WM5 exclusive features because it's based on WM2003 SDK.
#3 is for people who want to to make one software that work across PPC2002, WM2003 and WM5, and care less about optimization.

Darius Wey
09-14-2006, 04:08 AM
There are also a lot of free mobile development toolkits floating around that accompany Visual Studio. For example, OpenNETCF.org (http://www.opennetcf.org/home.ocf) is worth a visit.

vrda
09-14-2006, 03:07 PM
I have a few remarks concerning my favorite PPC development tool, EVC3.0:

#2 is the best option for hobbyist developers because it's FREE. Cannot take advantage of WM5 exclusive features because it's based on WM2003 SDK.
#3 is for people who want to to make one software that work across PPC2002, WM2003 and WM5, and care less about optimization

1. You can take advantage of WM5 exclusive features by calling the
functions from user's dlls. So any WM5 function available to the VisualStudio 20xx buyers is also available to EVC3.0 coders who heard of GetProcAddress function :-)

2. How do you mean 'care less about optimization' ? I beleive that the C compiler built in EVC3 produces great ARM code, sometimes even better then custom coded asm. And of course you can always use armasm where you'd like to take care of caching yourself and use the memory bandwith optimally.

So in my opinion EVC3.0, combined with MS ARM Device emulator is the best free set of tools for PocketPC development out there.

JesterMania
09-15-2006, 10:26 PM
I've never tried this method and I don't know how well the PPC JVM conforms with the current Java implementation but you can try writing a program in Java and running it on a Java Virtual Machine for your PPC (such as Mysaifu (http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~dat/java/project/jvm/index_en.html).

kornalius
09-17-2006, 06:37 AM
If you want something easy to start and write little games, I recommend PPL http://www.arianesoft.ca/page.php?1. The syntax is easy and the gaming api is very easy to use. You write once and it will run on your PC and your PocketPC.

The Standard version is only $39.95 and you get a nice and easy programming environment.

The Pro version will even give you physics, particles engine and a visual game editor.

There is a Free version (Lite) but you can't write games with it.

BrianD
11-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Several options are available depending on which Pocket PC platform you're targeting.
#3 MS Embedded Visual C++ 3.0 - 2002 edition - PPC2002+SP2002 SDK included (free). Also include Embedded Visual Basic.

#3 is for people who want to to make one software that work across PPC2002, WM2003 and WM5, ...

I am very confused about points #2 & 3. Summarizing:

a.) if I want to develop for PPC2002 and WM2003, should I install both versions of MS eVC++ (3.0 and 4.0) or is it possible to install just eVC++ 4.0 (which, as far as I understand, already comprises the WM2003 SDK) together with the PPC2002 SDK?
b.) if I need both versions of MS eVC++, is it possible to install both packages on the same pc without conflicts? I run Windows XP.

Things get even more complicated if I think to do some development on HPC 2000. I still use a NEC MobilePro 790 and I like it very much because of its larger screen size and fantastic keyboard (nearly on par with a notebook's).
To develop for that, I already have installed the of eMbedded Visual Tools 3.0 (Original Version) (see http://www.hpcfactor.com/developer/). What about installing the above, newer, versions of eVC together with it? Can they work together or do I need some workaround?

If the three versions of eVC are incompatible, the simplest but dirty way to overcome the problem that comes to my mind is to have three separate vmware virtual machines, identical but with different versions of eVC on them. Better ideas are welcome :idea:

BrianD
11-14-2006, 07:35 PM

#3 is for people who want to to make one software that work across PPC2002, WM2003 and WM5, ...

I am very confused about points #2 & 3. Summarizing:

a.) if I want to develop for PPC2002 and WM2003, should I install both versions of MS eVC++ (3.0 and 4.0) or is it possible to install just eVC++ 4.0 (which, as far as I understand, already comprises the WM2003 SDK) together with the PPC2002 SDK?
b.) if I need both versions of MS eVC++, is it possible to install both packages on the same pc without conflicts? I run Windows XP.

Things get even more complicated if I think to do some development on HPC 2000. ...
To develop for that, I already have installed the of eMbedded Visual Tools 3.0 (Original Version) ... What about installing the above, newer, versions of eVC together with it? Can they work together or do I need some workaround?

I reply to my own post. I have done some experiment in the last days and here I want to summarize my findings. In short, MS eVC++ 3.0 and 4.0 can be installed on the same machine without conflicts.
After some tests on a virtual machine, what I have done on my main XP system is:

1. install eMbedded Visual Tools 3.0 - 2002 Edition, which contains both eMbedded Visual Basic 3.0 and eMbedded Visual C++ 3.0. The same package allows to install also the MS Windows SDK for Pocket PC 2002 and, if one is interested, also the corresponding SDK for Smartphone 2002.
2. install the Handheld PC Professional 3.0 SDK and the Handheld PC 2000 SDK, which integrate well into the above mentioned eVT.
3. install the eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 package, containing also the Standard SDK for Windows CE .NET and, of course, the eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 Service Pack 4.0.
4. the last step is to install the Microsoft Pocket PC 2003 SDK, which has a nice device emulator.
The installation of al these packages takes a lot of time, but at the end you will be rewarded by having several development tools for both HPCs and PPCs, up to WM2003.

IMPORTANT NOTE: if you have a fairly recent machine, before starting the installation steps, you must:
i. edit boot.ini, removing the "/pao" and "/noexecute=optin" options and adding the "/execute" option. This disables the Data Execution Prevention feature of Windows XP, which prevents the installation of the SDKs for Pocket PC/Smartphone 2002 For more information, read this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352 on Microsoft KB.
ii. enable Windows Scripting Host, which is needed to install eVC++ 4.0, by manually editing the registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Scripting Host\Settings: Enable=1 (DWORD). To be safer, at the conclusion of the installation process, you can always disable it again by setting again Enable=0.
Please, don't forget to do that! These two points have compelled me to abort the installation process of eVC++ 4.0, removing everything and starting the installation process from the beginning, after some hours spent on the net trying to understand what went wrong. :oops:

Erel
12-28-2006, 11:07 PM
Basic4ppc is a very simple and affordable development software targeting Mobile devices.
Develop your applications using the desktop or directly on the mobile device.
Basic4ppc supports WM5.0, WM2003 and Pocket PC 2002.
Basic4ppc creates executable files without any runtime files needed.
Version 4.00 adds many new features including:

• Support for external libraries.
• Performance improved by up to 50%.
• Code can be separated to several files.
• Serial port communication. Including virtual serial port using Bluetooth enabled devices.
• TreeView control - similar to the tree in the File Explorer. Supports checkboxes and images.
• TrackBar control - "volume" control.
• ProgressBar control.
• TabControl - organize many controls in different tab pages.
• Support for Firelight Technologies FMOD library which allows playing MP3 files (and many more
formats).
• Full screen forms.
• Support for screen orientation changes.
• Hardware ID detection.
• Binary files support - 30 new methods for working with binary files.
• Bitwise operations - XOR, OR and more.
• Image library - 20 new methods for drawings.
Includes off screen drawing, transparent colors, drawing part of larger
images and more.
• Arrays can be of a specific data type.
• And much more.

Limited time offer: Purchase Basic4ppc V4.00 (including all components and features) for only 29$.

http://www.basic4ppc.com

Avalanche
01-09-2007, 07:11 AM
Good posts here!
Hope google will find them.

PPCRules
02-09-2007, 04:06 PM
powercx,

If you just want to get up and running (up and coding and running), I'd say you wouldn't find a better system to start out with, at least, than Basic 4 PPC.

The kinds of things you did on your TI calculator would be perfect in this system. And there's a lot of room to grow. v4.0 is packed with stuff that will keep you advancing for a long time.

Report back here, even months from now, with a report on what you find out and what you go with. I think hobby-type development is something greatly overlooked by PPC owners, something that can add a whole new dimension of excitement to owning a PPC.