View Full Version : Anybody know a good address book software for Axim x51?

ryanj
09-13-2006, 09:03 PM
I have been using MS Outlook (or Outlook express), but no end of problems. Does anyone know of a simple software program that will allow just storing names, addresses and phone numbers, run on Win xp PC as well as Axim and allow the database file to be copied from PC to the the Axim and back? I know Outlook/ Contacts version for each will syncronize, but it often deletes entries, or duplicates them and will not allow you to just copy/paste the data file. Real problem if it deletes the entry and are not allowed to back it up on CD or other storage. Even storing it on the Axim on a card will not get it back into the PC very dependably.

Thank you very much for any ideas

Ryanj

Cybrid
09-14-2006, 08:13 AM
I have been using MS Outlook (or Outlook express), but no end of problems. Does anyone know of a simple software program that will allow just storing names, addresses and phone numbers, run on Win xp PC as well as Axim and allow the database file to be copied from PC to the the Axim and back? I know Outlook/ Contacts version for each will syncronize, but it often deletes entries, or duplicates them and will not allow you to just copy/paste the data file. Real problem if it deletes the entry and are not allowed to back it up on CD or other storage. Even storing it on the Axim on a card will not get it back into the PC very dependably.

Thank you very much for any ideas

RyanjCould you give some examples? In your effort to describe this it seems that you are having a number of problems. Maybe examples might help cure the root cause.

You could sign up for Yahoo! and use Yahoo!Go which will sync your Yahoo! account to your pocket PC even without a pc...
There are other expensive alternatives to Outlook like ACT! and such but I do not have experience with them since Outlook has worked semi-reliably for me for years and I do backup Outlooks PST files regularly.

ryanj
09-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Hi Cybrid

Appreciate your thoughts. I can backup the outlook pst file, although at times it seems like it refuses to allow pasting into the Applications Data/Microsoft/Outlook folder of another computer. I do not use Outlook for anything else, preferring another e-mail program that is easier to use, allows cut and paste into an e-mail, change font sizes, etc with simpler actions, and allows me to view an e-mail sender and subject line, before I decide if I want to download a suspicious file or delete it. Seems like Outlook is either deficient or excessively complicated in those respects. And I thought if there is a simple, uncomplicated address book program that does nothing else, it would be less difficult to use and more dependable.

The main problem that triggered all this is when I run Activesynch between the Axim and the PC. At that point, it seems to get very erratic, deleting some entries from both, duplicating some entries. Before upgrading to the x51, my Axim x5 would allow me to delete its data file. so I could load the new entries from the PC into an empty Axim. Cannot find the data file on the x51 and delete as a workaround to the Activesynch problem.

Thanks again for lending your expertise and experience.

Ryan

Cybrid
09-15-2006, 12:43 AM
although at times it seems like it refuses to allow pasting into the Applications Data/Microsoft/Outlook folder of another computer.Usually thats when the other PC's .PST file is in use...locked...

I do not use Outlook for anything else, preferring another e-mail program that is easier to use, allows cut and paste into an e-mail, change font sizes, etc with simpler actions, and allows me to view an e-mail sender and subject line, before I decide if I want to download a suspicious file or delete it. Seems like Outlook is either deficient or excessively complicated in those respects. And I thought if there is a simple, uncomplicated address book program that does nothing else, it would be less difficult to use and more dependable. Unfortunately Activesync is only able to sync with Outlook. All 3rd party applications still need Activesync as a conduit :(

The main problem that triggered all this is when I run Activesynch between the Axim and the PC. At that point, it seems to get very erratic, deleting some entries from both, duplicating some entries. Before upgrading to the x51, my Axim x5 would allow me to delete its data file. so I could load the new entries from the PC into an empty Axim. Cannot find the data file on the x51 and delete as a workaround to the Activesynch problem.
RyanDid you mean by hard resetting or simply deleting the database itself?
Have you tried;

Experimenting with syncing on another PC to eliminate the possibility that its just flaky on that PC?
Backing up and hard resetting. Then syncing to isolate any PPC problems.
Try Yahoo!Go as an online backup. Couldn't hurt...

ryanj
09-15-2006, 01:50 AM
The problem seems to occur on other PCs as well. I was able to delete the file with the Axim x5, but could not find it on the x51, however, the hard reset works! Apparently if there is no data on the Axim, Outlook does not get confused, but just copies the contacts. That solves the problem, although it seems the software should be able to accomplish something this basic without problems.

Appreciate your ideas - I will be OK now

Ryanj

skewline
09-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Cybrid,
i have a yahoo account, and i've just scoured the site to find Yahoo!Go, and couldn't find anything. i've seen that logo somewhere, tho. could you point me a little more specifically. i'd like to have a resource to supplement/work around active/sync. thank you

Cybrid
09-19-2006, 07:08 AM
Cybrid,
i have a yahoo account, and i've just scoured the site to find Yahoo!Go, and couldn't find anything. i've seen that logo somewhere, tho. could you point me a little more specifically. i'd like to have a resource to supplement/work around active/sync. thank youStrange....first hit on google...http://go.connect.yahoo.com/go/mobile considering their competitive search engines... :lol: