View Full Version : All About AKUs

Jon Westfall
09-15-2006, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/articles/wm-aku-en.shtml' target='_blank'>http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/ar...wm-aku-en.shtml</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Updating and enhancing of any operating system are the things that seemingly will never stop. Groundbreaking changes get introduced in case a company is about to shift up the version of its OS, like it happened to Windows Mobile 2003 upgraded to Windows Mobile 5.0. However, when various fixes are many, but at the same time they cannot constitute a new version, already existing operating system obtains a suffix, indicating its advanced capabilities – for instance Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. Minor tweaks tend to pop up frequently and aim mostly at patching up actual version of operating system. In Windows Mobile’s case such updates go by the name of Adaptation Kit or Adaptation Kit Update (or simply AKU abbreviation, which we will use throughout this review) – they usually patch up existing bugs and enable several new features. Each newly released AKU pack retains fixes found in previous versions of AKU, so in order to emphasize the most crucial fixes carried by AKU, the company sometimes turns to Feature Pack (FP) term, adopted from S60 platform. Significance-wise, Nokia S60’s FP and Windows Mobile’s AKU are on a par with each other, thus FP term applied to Windows Mobile has more of a marketing move rather than actual necessity in it."</i><br /><br />AKUs can be confusing, and this write-up can clear up some of the ambiguity revolving certain Windows Mobile AKU releases. It also includes method to determine what AKU your Windows Mobile device is running. Good information for all of us die-hard upgrade people!

ctmagnus
09-16-2006, 05:49 AM
My gripe with AKUs is that the JAMin is still only on AKU2.0. The Wizard already has AKU2.3.

Jon Westfall
09-16-2006, 04:25 PM
My gripe with AKUs is that the JAMin is still only on AKU2.0. The Wizard already has AKU2.3.

Yea, but not officially for those of us with a K-JAM... grrrr

Ed Hansberry
09-29-2006, 05:00 AM

Yea, but not officially for those of us with a K-JAM... grrrr
iMate is the worst when it comes to supporting updates. They release the device, then a few months later release a ROM that fixes a bunch of things wrong with the original release, then move on to the next device. :evil: