View Full Version : Next-Generation Camera Modules Coming Soon

Darius Wey
09-12-2006, 01:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=1881' target='_blank'>http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=1881</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Samsung Techwin recently announced a new camera module for phones, which they will start producing in bulk next year. The entire package is 9 mm thick and features a 3 Megapixel sensor with autofocus and 3x optical zoom. In addition the new camera is also supposed to be more shock resistant and consume less power than current high end modules. While Samsung's new camera uses more traditional technology, Taiwan's Creative Sensor is set to commercialize liquid lenses. The company is set to produce autofocus cameras for phones based on Varioptic's technology next year as well."</i><br /><br />To be honest, I don't care much about greater resolution and zoom. If they can improve the sensors and lenses used in camera phones, then I'll be interested. Here's hoping that whatever they have in store for these "next-generation" cameras turns our pictures from amateur security video snapshots to almost noise-free visual masterpieces. ;)

SteveHoward999
09-12-2006, 02:24 PM
I agree- I've had enough of reading reviews that say the camera on this device is great, while showing awful pictures as 'proof'. THe cameras are only great if you only ever view the pictures on the phone ;-) My 5-year-old 2.1 Mpixel HP digital takes fantastic pictures in comparrison!

dstrauss
09-12-2006, 03:26 PM
...To be honest, I don't care much about greater resolution and zoom. If they can improve the sensors and lenses used in camera phones, then I'll be interested...

AMEN. When are they going to learn "it's the optics stupid." A 1.3 mpxl camera would be good enough if we weren't using a pinhole camera. Kudos to Samsung if they really do improve the optics in a 9mm package. All I want is a picture that doesn't look like I smeared Vaseline on the lens.

RogueSpear
09-12-2006, 03:55 PM
My Sony Ericsson S710a takes fantastic pictures - provided you have the appropriate lighting. It's only a 1.3MP sensor, but it's a CCD and really seems to do a great job. A very simple feature it has is a built-in lens cover. I still see camera phones all the time with no lens cover of any kind. On the downside it has an LED for a "flash". It's more like an indicator of where someone should look if you're taking their picture as it provides next to no light, but plenty of red eye.

But once you get outside, even when it's overcast, it takes outstanding pictures.

jarekt
09-12-2006, 09:08 PM
I'm using SE d750 (2MP and AF) for taking photos all the time. It's true that quality is hardly comparable to middle end digital camera but with a little effort one can get really good pictures with this handset. As the matter of fact photos are good enough to leave camera at home on almost every occasion. Good sensor (color reproduction) and autofocus (sharpness) thats all average user will need (optical zoom is a nice addition).
All i'm trying to say is that im pretty impressed with photo quality of the newest phones (SE as the matter of fact). It's a pitty that no PDA can match this quality.

Thats the first gallery i've foud with google when U can see some pics taken with this little technical marvel :P :
http://www.pbase.com/howzer/k750i
and those are taken with newest model:
http://www.pbase.com/howzer/k800i

DarkHelmet
09-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Why - tell me why - does everyone except me seem to feel that cameras should be put in phones and PDAs?

PDAs and some cell phones (ones with cameras - fer sure) are being forced out of security concious corporate America.

Frankly - I have never seen any picture from a cell phone or PDA that I would show someone (or even keep). And forget about getting that crappy picture off the phone and into a computer - Verizon wants a fee to do that.

I can't help thinking that peeps who use cell phone cameras are so unsophisticated in their opinions about what makes a good picture. Or is it that they're too cheap to buy a real digital camera?

Go ahead - flame away.

Phoenix
09-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Why - tell me why - does everyone except me seem to feel that cameras should be put in phones and PDAs?

...I can't help thinking that peeps who use cell phone cameras are so unsophisticated in their opinions about what makes a good picture. Or is it that they're too cheap to buy a real digital camera?

I think it's nice to be able to take a photo with a phone, but I carry a small PAS cam with me anyway because for me, photo quality is #1. The photo quality with phones these days are a joke, but I think it would be nice to have some really great optics and really great zoom capability (maybe only with the Varioptic tech - 10x hopefully) for both stills and video.

I'm not sure if people are unknowledgable about good quality photos as you say, or if they simply don't care.

All I know is, as long as the optic quality and zoom capability actually become something worthwhile, and the res is decent, then I'm all for having them in mobiles. I'd like to think that they'd offer as good or better quality and features than what we have now in our PAS's, because ultimately, one less device I need to carry around, the better, IMO.

"May the Schwarz be with you!"

RogueSpear
09-12-2006, 10:52 PM
I used to feel the same way. All I ever wanted was a very simple cell phone with Bluetooth in it. No camera, no PIM functionality, no color screen. Just a solid, small phone with as good reception as is possible so that I could tether my laptop and iPAQ to via BT. But now the cameras are actually starting to approach decent.

PDAs and some cell phones (ones with cameras - fer sure) are being forced out of security concious corporate America.
This is a pretty good point.

Frankly - I have never seen any picture from a cell phone or PDA that I would show someone (or even keep). And forget about getting that crappy picture off the phone and into a computer - Verizon wants a fee to do that.

I can't help thinking that peeps who use cell phone cameras are so unsophisticated in their opinions about what makes a good picture. Or is it that they're too cheap to buy a real digital camera?
Using FMA I can put photos or music files onto my phone quite easily. Alternatively, I have a little Memory Stick adapter that I can plug into a PCMCIA slot that works wonders as well. It's just too bad that Sony won't let Memory Stick die out.

Not all of us are so unsophiticated. I own a Canon 10D, not the most sophiticated out there, but not too shabby either. I make sure to bring it to birthdays and other family events, vacations, etc. But I can't tell you how many times I've gotten some great shots with my phone that otherwise would never have been.

Darius Wey
09-13-2006, 03:58 AM

Go ahead - flame away.

It's a valid point. No flaming from my end. ;)

I will always carry my dedicated camera when and where picture taking is required. Going to a party, a wedding, a scenic trip to the south, the zoo, you name it. However, for the standard day-to-day fanfare, it's a pain lugging around a dedicated camera. That's where camera phones come into play. They allow you to take quick snapshots if you need to. Problem is, picture quality sucks for the most part, so it's close to worthless. :roll:

Nurhisham Hussein
09-13-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm actually having fun taking shots with my new toy - a Sony-Ericsson K800i. The autofocus makes a huge difference to the picture quality, though I'd wish it had optical zoom.

DarkHelmet
09-13-2006, 09:18 PM

Go ahead - flame away.

It's a valid point. No flaming from my end. ;)

I will always carry my dedicated camera when and where picture taking is required. Going to a party, a wedding, a scenic trip to the south, the zoo, you name it. However, for the standard day-to-day fanfare, it's a pain lugging around a dedicated camera. That's where camera phones come into play. They allow you to take quick snapshots if you need to. Problem is, picture quality sucks for the most part, so it's close to worthless. :roll:

As usual, you're spot on. My real agenda is to get a cell phone that works with my brand new Bluetooth enabled TIE Fighter (disguised as a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid) and without a camera (prohibited by my employer - look what happened to the first two Death Stars when rebels with cell phones sneaked photos off the station).

I would prefer carry my cell phone on my shiny back belt - rather than leave it on the ship when I go to work.

Guess I'm going to fall off the grid when my cell contract is up for renewal...

Darius Wey
09-14-2006, 04:32 AM
As usual, you're spot on. My real agenda is to get a cell phone that works with my brand new Bluetooth enabled TIE Fighter (disguised as a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid) and without a camera (prohibited by my employer - look what happened to the first two Death Stars when rebels with cell phones sneaked photos off the station).

I'm assuming you're a fan of some of the latest Pocket PCs and Smartphones? I've seen some resellers sell small "plugs" for camera phones, enough to keep employers satisfied. Food for thought. :)