View Full Version : PPC VNC?

localfiend
09-11-2006, 03:32 AM
Hey all, I'm brand new to pocket pc's. Just bought a Dell Axim x51v and i'm looking for some additional software. Specifically I'd like to know about some of the VNC programs that you guys use. What has worked the best? And are there any good free versions available?

Thanks

Nurhisham Hussein
09-11-2006, 04:58 AM
Welcome to PPCT localfiend.

Your question has come up a lot before (a search of the forum would yield quite a few hits). First, there is a terminal services client built into the OS which you can use - it's not terribly good, but it does work.

There are quite a few VNC clients for the Windows Mobile platform as well (many free - try a Google search), not to mention 3rd party solutions like LogMeIn.com which use a server in between. I've also used z2remotePC - fantastic product, but pricey and has a restrictive licensing policy (guess which one I'm not using anymore?).

It really depends on your usage and needs - tight security? fast refresh? over LAN or internet?

localfiend
09-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Sadly my search results turned up threads that were either from 05 or 04. So I was wondiring if there were any new things out yet. After a bit of searching last night: I came across Z2 R2PC and it worked well. I considered buying, but what sort of iiscense problems did you run into?

Nurhisham Hussein
09-12-2006, 01:26 AM
Their license is tied to a particular device, and the software won't work anywhere else - so if you buy a new device, or your old one crashed (like mine), you'll need to buy a new license. You can tell how happy that made me.

AlwaysNovice
09-13-2006, 08:43 PM
I'm also interested in VNC.

Several developers modified and released VNC viewer for Pocket PC. I have 5 different versions. And I use one of them, which was modified by Samoil Samak. It can compress the data with zlib and jpeglib. So it's fastest in 5 different versions. 4 others can't compress the data, so they're too slow.

I searched the URL of this version in the about box. The URL is http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~ssamak. But the URL shows 404 NOT FOUND error. I have both the binary and source of it. It's GPLed. If you need it, please let me know. :D

If you use the Samoil Samak version, please select [Mouse Handling] as [Track cursor remotely] in the option. If you don't, it will stop after a few minutes.

Paul Martin
09-14-2006, 07:49 PM
I have been using Midley's version on occasion. I'll have to give Samak's a whirl again. I didnt' know about the extra setting to toggle.

BrianD
10-26-2006, 04:58 PM
I searched the URL of this version in the about box. The URL is http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~ssamak. But the URL shows 404 NOT FOUND error. I have both the binary and source of it. It's GPLed. If you need it, please let me know. :D
It would be very useful for me, too. Could you share it for all users of this forum or, at least, send a copy by e-mail?
Thanks

Menneisyys
10-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Before I publish my all-in-one article on all these questions (hopefully later next week), I heartily recommed http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=29045