View Full Version : More Treo 700wx Reviews

Janak Parekh
09-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Trying to decide whether Sprint's Treo 700wx is right for you? Here's two more reviews that may help you decide. <li> <a href="http://reviews.cnet.com/Palm_Treo_700wx_Sprint/4505-6452_7-32058773.html?subj=fdba&part=rss&tag=MR_Search+Results">CNET</a> reviews the device, and generally likes it, apart from the obvious lack of WiFi and high screen resolution. Strangely, they seem to rate it rather low (a 7/10) despite the lack of complaints. More disturbing, they suggest that the unit doesn't ship with Bluetooth DUN support out of the box, but that Sprint may "add" it. :?<br /><li> <a href="http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/898-1.htm">TreoCentral</a> has a much longer and more detailed review, if you want more details. They are indeed very happy with the additional RAM, and go into significant discussion as to the implications, so be sure to check that out as well.

Joseph Moon
09-09-2006, 07:05 PM
So I read the review and flames started to come out of my ears...

Talk about Jealousy! Or should I feel okay that my 700w is, and had always been a crippled device.

I simply want to know what PALM and Verizon plan to do to give us 700w owners that much need, much desired extra RAM that they seemly had no trouble dropping into the 700wx.

I can tell you this, I will be writting my most nastiest letter in years to the CEOs of both of those companies if restitution is not made. (If you want a copy to send yourself, send me an email)

They have been hearing our cries for months - and what do they do - not fix the problem, they abandon us and open the FIX to a whole new market. That is BS... I am sorry but that is just plain BS!

Joseph...

jffcurt
09-10-2006, 01:35 PM
After being a long time IPAQ user, the 5400 was my last, I was so excited when the 700w came out I don't think I even waited for a review. It took about a weel for me to realize it had alot of the same problems the IPAQ's I had owned had. Originally I was having to reset the thing at least two mostly three or more times a day. Well, that doesn't happen anymore and the reason is the only program I really use with it anymore is Outlook. And believe me not even that much. It's become a glorified text messenger, contact &amp; calender phone.

This brings me to another problem you brought up about the bluetooth DUN. Well I found a program that installs a DUN (PDANet) and I'm now using it as a modem for my Sony UX-180P and works with Verizon's EVDO. It comes with a built in WWAN but it's through Cingular and I didn't feel much like paying for another data plan when I was already paying for unlimited with the Treo &amp; Verizon. Although it's not as convenient as the built in believe it or not it is faster and with the bluetooth DUN it's not that big of a hassle.

So I can now add bluetooth modem to the less than a handful of things I use my 700w for. It took your post to sort of rekindle my anger again because I should have never had to buy a bluetooth DUN.

This is the first time I've really went off about it and it feels good. Plus if money is not that big of concern look at the Sony I bought because I couldn't be happier.

Jeff

Janak Parekh
09-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally I was having to reset the thing at least two mostly three or more times a day. Well, that doesn't happen anymore and the reason is the only program I really use with it anymore is Outlook. And believe me not even that much. It's become a glorified text messenger, contact &amp; calender phone.
8O I don't have nearly as much trouble as you, and I do use a collection of third-party apps (although no Today screen plugins).

This brings me to another problem you brought up about the bluetooth DUN. Well I found a program that installs a DUN (PDANet) and I'm now using it as a modem for my Sony UX-180P and works with Verizon's EVDO.
Right -- but the last time I tried PDANet, I had nothing but trouble. It's also technically against Verizon's TOS. What the heck, I'll give it a spin again. It's still inexcusable that they're so stupid about this...

This is the first time I've really went off about it and it feels good.
That's what we're here for, I guess. :P

--janak