View Full Version : How do you update your Windows Mobile 5.0

djkenod
09-07-2006, 09:37 AM
Hi
My girlfriend has just got an MDA Compact II from t-mobile.

She is getting very annoyed because the phone is crashing all the time and sometimes when dialling someone it wont cancel the request and then it crashes again.

Does anyone know how I can update the software, is there something similar to windows update but for mobiles.

I tried going to windows update in her browser on her phone but it just didnt recognise the device.

Please help before she throws the thing out the window and i smash it with a hammer! :lol:

Matt

Nurhisham Hussein
09-07-2006, 09:45 AM
You'll have to go back to T-Mobile and check if they've issued a ROM update for that device. Unlike Windows XP, Microsoft does not handle OS updates, and for a very good reason.

Because of the significant hardware and carrier customisation between devices, any OS update issued by Microsoft has to be verified by both the device manufacturer (in this case HTC) and the carrier (T-Mobile), unless you want the risk of losing some hardware functionality.

djkenod
09-08-2006, 02:42 PM
thanks

Why is it i can update the symbian OS on my Nokia?

It doesnt even need to know who my network provider is.

Is it too expensive for microsoft to have something similar?

Sorry if i haven't fully understood.

Matt

Nurhisham Hussein
09-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Why is it i can update the symbian OS on my Nokia?

Because Nokia does the hardware, software, OS, and retailing of the devices - you may see Nokia/SE/Motorola phones customised for various operators, but the customisations are largely cosmetic.

The Windows Mobile world is very different - Microsoft provides the base OS, but after that each manufacturer is free to do what they like within certain parameters (which are pretty wide). MS doesn't have the kind of control Nokia has across the supply chain.

It doesnt even need to know who my network provider is.

Neither do Windows Mobile devices. You can theoretically use any ROM for the same device from any of the carriers that sell your device - there's actually a small cottage industry (http://forum.xda-developers.com/front_page.php) grown up brewing custom ROMs.

Unfortunately, only T-Mobile uses the Compact II, so there's really no other source for updates, unless your willing to try Magician ROMs (which is not a good idea because of the older hardware it was intended for).