View Full Version : Yahoo! Releases Go For Mobile

Ed Hansberry
09-01-2006, 12:00 PM
<a href="http://yhoo.client.shareholder.com/press/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=209466">http://yhoo.client.shareholder.com/press/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=209466</a><br /><br /><i>"Today's launch increases the number of consumers who can use Yahoo! Go for Mobile to stay connected to their community of friends, personalized content and favorite Internet services," said Marco Boerries, senior vice president, connected life, Yahoo!. "We are making it even easier for more consumers to take the Yahoo! experience with them on their mobile phone."</i><br /><br />New and improved services include email, photos, search, address book, calendar and news. The <a href="http://go.yahoo.com/mobile">link to download the software for your mobile device is here</a>. Unfortunately, Yahoo's Messenger software is not part of the download for Windows Mobile devices, which is surprising. Yahoo Messenger was one of the first chat client for the Pocket PC.

Darius Wey
09-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Unfortunately, Yahoo's Messenger software is not part of the download for Windows Mobile devices, which is surprising. Yahoo Messenger was one of the first chat client for the Pocket PC.

Still no real explanation as to why they abandoned development. I suppose with MSN and Yahoo! interoperability nearing completion, and MSN Messenger already on Pocket PCs, they no longer have a reason to channel resources into Yahoo! Messenger for Pocket PC.

murph
09-01-2006, 03:01 PM
i downloaded and installed this...

GOOD
+ I can synch email subfolders (not available with normal Yahoo POP access)
+ Synchs calendar, contacts, tasks, etc - doesn't interfere with Activesync. so basically i have 3-way sync - Outlook/Exchange, Yahoo, mobile device. i use Yahoo for my personal email, so this was pretty handy.
+ Yahoo photos support

BAD
+ Send/Receive in Pocket Outlook doesn't work. You have to use Yahoo app to initiate synch (default is 1x/hour)
+ Yahoo app is pretty useless - just opens mobile Yahoo pages in Pocket IE

anyone know of a discussion group or DL for this app?

stlbud
09-01-2006, 03:06 PM
I got a message that the installer was invalid when I tried to install it on my HP RX3715.

:cry:

Darius Wey
09-01-2006, 03:58 PM
I got a message that the installer was invalid when I tried to install it on my HP RX3715.

:cry:

Did you apply the correct file using the correct installation method - that is, EXE for ActiveSync installations, or CAB for direct device-based installations?

If you did, and one failed, try the other.

deemota
09-01-2006, 11:15 PM
BAD
+ Yahoo app is pretty useless - just opens mobile Yahoo pages in Pocket IE

I was saying the same thing. I will be uninstalling this tonight. It just opens IE, what the heck????? What would I need this for? LOL...

bnycastro
09-02-2006, 06:15 AM
Tried it and uninstalled it after 5 mins. I don't need links to Yahoo via an application and barely use my yahoo email. Waiting for it to get IM though cause that I would use.

tom dunne
09-02-2006, 02:50 PM
I just can't see the point of it - all it does is open up the apps that are already on the PDA????? I gave it 24hours and removed it.

eagle63
09-02-2006, 07:31 PM
The only thing that I can see this being useful for is uploading/viewing my pictures on Flickr. However, it appears as though "Yahoo Photos" is different than Flickr?? (even though Flickr is a Yahoo service) What gives?

Darius Wey
09-03-2006, 04:29 AM
The only thing that I can see this being useful for is uploading/viewing my pictures on Flickr. However, it appears as though "Yahoo Photos" is different than Flickr?? (even though Flickr is a Yahoo service) What gives?

There was talk of the two merging, but that's becoming increasingly unlikely. Instead, I think Yahoo! plans to keep them separate, and incorporate a couple of features from one into the other (and vice versa) - and at the end of the day, have each service cater for different audiences (e.g., the enthusiast vs. the professional).

bnycastro
09-03-2006, 05:21 AM
I just want IM... why can't they make Yahoo Instant Messenger work [they had 1 before and it worked for a bit]... I read the Symbian version has it, wonder why WM is left out... I don't have a lot of MSN or Skype contacts... Yahoo Messenger is the dominant IM client atleast for me and my friends.

If Yahoo IM is included in the future then I will install Y!GO even with all the other stuff that I don't use [and maybe ask someone to teach me how to uninstall unused stuff hehehe] meanwhile it seems Agile is taking their sweet time in polishing up the bugs in their WM5 client and now the big companies like yahoo might roll-out their 'free' mobile clients companies like Agile and maybe even Shape maybe headed for rough waters...