View Full Version : Troubles using HTC TyTN as modem (Cingular) with laptop, via USB cable

kzemach
08-29-2006, 11:20 PM
OK, I have this funny feeling I'm gonna have to track someone down in person (if you're in the bay area, I'll buy you lunch/dinner if you can help me with this), but here goes:

*I have the new HTC TyTN (tough life, I know...)
*I have a nice IBM laptop
*I have the USB cable
*I want to use the TyTN as a modem, over either GPRS, or, when available, HSPDA (UTMS)

A. I've installed the right software from the CD on the laptop. When I connect the phone, it shows up as a connected icon in my system tray, and notes some wicked fast connection speed.

B. All the stuff on the web says I have to disable ActiveSync. I have NO IDEA how to do this, and have been through every F*$&*#U#$* menu on both the computer and the PDA's activesync... no love.

C. Am guessing I have to do B, as even though the computer says it has a new internet connection, I get no response on any webpage other than a no connection notice.

Has anyone used the TyTn or similar, on Cingular, as a wired modem for a laptop? I KNOW it's possible, but I've followed the manual and instructions and am not getting any love.

Thanks,

Ken

Nurhisham Hussein
08-30-2006, 01:13 AM
Ken, have you ever used a PDA-phone as a modem before? It's not just a matter of connecting it to your laptop - when used as a modem, the phone will not automatically call your data line. It has to be done manually. Or am I way off base here in terms of what you've done?

kzemach
08-30-2006, 01:16 AM
Aha! You are correct, and after more net scouring, I think I got the correct source. Anyone else with the same question: GREAT tutorials found and downloadable here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?t=59586

I still have to get the info from the provider, but let's consider this thread closed until then. LOVING that info at that site though. Good stuff.

Thanks,

Ken

(However, if someone still wants to walk me through it, the lunch offer is still valid... I'm lazy that way)