View Full Version : Changing battery on MDA (scared to death)

GeNioS
08-29-2006, 04:22 AM
I'm new and am sure this has probably been discussed before.....hopefully I'm okay posting this.....

On my IPAQ 6315 there were two batteries, one main and one backup. I could see them both charged and was always able to change the battery without worrying about data loss.

I just switched to the T-Mobile MDA and noticed there wasn't any backup battery showing up on the "Power" Screen. I looked in the MDA User Guide and it doesn't say anything about data loss or how to switch batteries.

I finally called T-Mobile and asked if I'd lose my data. He said I shouldn't. I asked if it had some kind of flash memory or if there was a backup battery I couldn't see. After nearly 30 minutes of combined hold time, the guy came back and said there was NO backup battery, but if I changed the battery "very quickly" I should be ok. I asked him what that meant....he said he didn't know...only that I should chang them "very quickly." Scary.

I really don't want to have to reinstall all the software every time I switch out a battery. And, of course, if I ever do have to switch out the battery, it will mean I've been away from a power source for quite some time which also means I wouldn't have access to all the software.

So, can someone who knows something about this, because clearly T-mobile doesn't have a clue, tell me if I can change the battery without losing the data? What constitutes "very quickly?"

Nurhisham Hussein
08-29-2006, 04:31 AM
Which MDA is this? If you're talking about the latest one (HTC Wizard variant) then there should be no problem changing the battery, as it runs WM5.0. You should not experience any data loss at all, as long as you're sensible about precautions - make sure the device is off first, and sync all your PIM info.

BTW, welcome to PPCT!

GeNioS
08-29-2006, 04:37 AM
Which MDA is this? If you're talking about the latest one (HTC Wizard variant) then there should be no problem changing the battery, as it runs WM5.0. You should not experience any data loss at all, as long as you're sensible about precautions - make sure the device is off first, and sync all your PIM info.

BTW, welcome to PPCT!
I just bought it straight from T-Mobile, and I've heard it's the HTC Wizard (without all the cool features I don't know about from Europe.)

How is it that my data is safe, and what do I need to sync and why? PIM info?

Thanks for the help and welcome!

Nurhisham Hussein
08-29-2006, 04:45 AM
How is it that my data is safe, and what do I need to sync and why?

Between WM5 and the previous OS, the memory model was changed. WM5 now features persistent storage, so no data is lost even if there is no power. That said, you could still lose information in the current session - hence the recommendation to suspend or switch off the device, as this will flush all system data to ROM.

PIM info?

Personal Information Management info - just a precaution in case anything went wrong, nothing more. Just like buying insurance - hopefully you won't need it, but when you do, it's there. Essentially, just backup all your files. It's something you should do regularly anyway, regardless of the persistent storage feature, as there are always instances where you might need it.

GeNioS
08-29-2006, 04:54 AM
Between WM5 and the previous OS, the memory model was changed. WM5 now features persistent storage, so no data is lost even if there is no power. That said, you could still lose information in the current session - hence the recommendation to suspend or switch off the device, as this will flush all system data to ROM.
It is WM5.....so how long do I have to change the battery...unlimited time? It's flashed? And also, when I switch off the device, aren't all the programs still running when I turn it back on? What's the best way to suspend the device to ensure all the the system data is put to the ROM? This is great information. I can't believe T-Mobile couldn't help me.

Personal Information Management info - just a precaution in case anything went wrong, nothing more. Just like buying insurance - hopefully you won't need it, but when you do, it's there. Essentially, just backup all your files. It's something you should do regularly anyway, regardless of the persistent storage feature, as there are always instances where you might need it.
Agreed....I just wish there was a backup program like the IPAQ 6315...that and the IPAQ File Store were awesome ideas.....

Nurhisham Hussein
08-29-2006, 05:14 AM
It is WM5.....so how long do I have to change the battery...unlimited time? It's flashed?

Exactly right - you can take your time :wink:

And also, when I switch off the device, aren't all the programs still running when I turn it back on? What's the best way to suspend the device to ensure all the the system data is put to the ROM?

Typically, a suspend is enough, but if you want to be sure, you can switch your device off entirely. How to do that should be in your manual, though I'm told that all you need to do is a long press on the power button, which should show a pop up menu. Best to confirm through the manual though. If for some reason you don't have access to it, download any of the Wizard manuals - they should all function more or less the same.

Agreed....I just wish there was a backup program like the IPAQ 6315...that and the IPAQ File Store were awesome ideas.....

Neither of those are Compaq/HP ideas. The backup program is a licensed version of Sprite Backup, which you can purchase separately (though the consensus seems to be that SPB Backup is better with WM5.0).

The iPaq file store is just the Compaq/HP name for onboard flash ROM storage, which virtually all Pocket PCs in the last 3-4 years or so have anyway. It's this area that's used for persistent storage with WM5.0 (no more RAM storage, which you can see if you look at your Memory applet - it's all program execution space now).

Menneisyys
08-29-2006, 09:38 AM
Typically, a suspend is enough, but if you want to be sure, you can switch your device off entirely. How to do that should be in your manual, though I'm told that all you need to do is a long press on the power button, which should show a pop up menu. Best to confirm through the manual though.

Yup, on the Wizard (as opposed to, say, Universal) this is how the device can be shut down.

GeNioS
08-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Again, this is great information....thanks for helping me out. Maybe it shouldn't be a big surprise that T-Mobile couldn't help me. Should I bother with buying Sprite backup? Doesn't seem necessary?

I held the power button down and the popup came up:

Warning: Device will be off, and may lose some data do you want to continue? Yes/No

Still scared me a bit, but I hit yes...when I restarted it, it looked like a soft reset and everything was still there.....have to admit I didn't have the guts to take out the battery after I shut it off though.......paranoid I guess...

Brad Adrian
08-30-2006, 01:14 AM
Maybe it shouldn't be a big surprise that T-Mobile couldn't help me...
I've generally found that the tech support provided by most phone or device providers is nowhere near the quality provided by people in the WM community, and by people using this site specifically. I only contact the vendors as an absolute last resort or if warranties are involved.

freemans
08-31-2006, 05:46 AM
I use Sprite Backup to backup my pda, it features scheduled backup and self-restoring backup files. I set it back my entire device up and when I need it (most times a hard reset 8O ), I just run the image file and it will bring me back how it was the time I backed it up.

:idea: Besides, it features an upgrade/device change mode restore, which allows you restore your data after you upgrade your device ROM or Migrant your data to a different device. ( I guess this option only the Sprite has).

Check it out www.spritesoftware.com 0X

vlcano57
09-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Hey,
I as well have a Tmobile MDA WM5.0 version and do not worry about loosing data. I have complete confidence in this PDA/Phone as it is my life (IT is My BEST FRIEND in HIGH SCHOOL )I keep my Homework on it, my Essays using Mobile Word and etc. so dont worry, If I was to loose anything I would be soo soo scre***(wasnt sure if I would be yelled at for saying that or not.....Have had the problem before on another forum using that same word).
Any ways do not worry about it. I purchased a Second OEM battery from I-Mate (the manufacturer of the MDA) and have to often switch the battery in mid-day(yes for a high school senior I do use it alot). I never lost anything when I switch off the device (even though that window pops up which did scare me the first time)but always be safe than sorry. I also own Sprite Back-Up and thankfully never had to restore but always glad it is there. Sprite backup is worth it god forbid anything happens. Otherwise I have never had a problem with any PIM or any data loss at all with this device. By the way Do not be suprised with T-Mobile. I have been a customer with them since my first cell phone(about 3 years ago) and my parents have been with them since they were Omnipoint(about 5 Years ago) when the company just started. There Customer Service is absoloutly Awfull!!!
But there phones and service (at least here in Tri-State area Lower NY,NJ,CT) is great.
Hope this helps

Sven Johannsen
09-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Still scared me a bit, but I hit yes...when I restarted it, it looked like a soft reset and everything was still there.....have to admit I didn't have the guts to take out the battery after I shut it off though.......paranoid I guess...

No need to be paranoid. The new model for WM5 is much like cell phones have been for some time. I'm sure you have had a cell that you just let the batterry totally drain. Charge it back up and you are good to go. Same with WM5, though draining the battery isn't good for it, or any LiIon battery. The MDA (K-Jam, Wizard) works the same way. You can put it to sleep, or actually turn it off, like a cell phone. You can pull the battery out for days, put it back, turn it on, and you'll have lost nothing.

Turning it off on long plane flights is actually beneficial as it uses virtually no power when off. For even better battery retention,if you are going to be away for a week, just charge the battery up and pull it out. LiIons will hang on to a charge for a loooong time just laying on the desk. Much beter than having to leave the unit plugged in during vacation like with pre-WM5 devices.

The caution about losing data is for applications you have open. If you are actively working on a Word document or something, there is the possibility some changes may not have been copied to Flash, so shutting the unit off, or pulling the battery, 'could' result in data lose. Kind of like a PC, make sure you've closed everything before you go pulling the plug, if you want to be sure.

BoxWave
09-10-2006, 08:38 AM
How is it that my data is safe, and what do I need to sync and why?

PIM info?

Crap man! You are a veritable encyclopedia. Where'd you learn all this?

BoxWave
09-10-2006, 08:40 AM
And I don't mean you defining PIM :P.

Nurhisham Hussein
09-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Crap man! You are a veritable encyclopedia. Where'd you learn all this?

Paying very close attention to Menneisyys :wink: