View Full Version : Question on "push" features

mmcguire
08-21-2006, 09:15 PM
I am just now setting up the push technology for our Exchange 2003 and Mobile devices. One thing that I notice that I want to confirm if this is normal. We I read an email on my mobile device it does not mark it as read on my PC based Outlook client. It does work the other way around. Is this normal?

Nurhisham Hussein
08-22-2006, 12:49 AM
Unfortunately yes. I think you can get around it by doing a manual send and receive after reading the mail on the device, but that kind of makes push a misnomer ;)

Paul Mah
10-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Hi,

Basically, the earlier version of Microsoft's 'push' mail called Auto-Up-To-Date (AUTD) works as you described. The newer version called "Direct Push" features "true" push mail in which read/deleted mail on your Windows Mobile device can be automatically synch'ed with your MS Exchange.

I say "can be" because there are a few settings that you need to ensure are properly set first. Additionally, to be able to use direct push, you first need a Windows Mobile 5.0 with MSFP (or better yet, AKU2 and above) together with an MS Exchange 2003 SP2 server-side setup.

In fact, I am in the midst of writing a comprehensive guide on push mail. You can find out more information at my personal blog at www.techatplay.com (http://www.techatplay.com/direct-push-guide/).

Regards,
Paul Mah.