View Full Version : Sbp Pocket Plus memory usage question....

floepie
08-19-2006, 11:08 PM
I have PocketPlus installed, however, I'm wondering if this program is actually using any memory resources if the today plug-in is not active. The only thing that runs continually is the battery meter.

I like that this app adds functionality to many areas of the built-in OS without having to install various specific apps that would do similar things.

My concern is that many people complain that Sbp PP slows their system down, but does that happen only when the today plug-in is active? According to Memmaid, I don't see any 'running processes' that seem to belong to PocketPlus under normal circumstances.

So, am I to believe that if I were to uninstall this app, I would see an improvement to the system even with no active today plug-in?

doughboy
08-20-2006, 02:53 AM
Don't worry about Spb PP using system resources. The resources used are quite minimal and actually have been quantified by Menneisyys (the guy is brilliant). If you search the PPCT forums under this user name, he actually compares the resources used by a number of such programs, including Spb PP.

Nurhisham Hussein
08-20-2006, 07:33 AM
According to Memmaid, I don't see any 'running processes' that seem to belong to PocketPlus under normal circumstances.

SPB typically run their programs as services, not as processes - not surprising Memmaid didn't pick up anything in the processes list. You might want to check the services list instead (4th tab in Memmaid, 2nd item on the dropdown list at the top).

Darius Wey
08-20-2006, 09:07 AM
Don't worry about Spb PP using system resources. The resources used are quite minimal and actually have been quantified by Menneisyys (the guy is brilliant). If you search the PPCT forums under this user name, he actually compares the resources used by a number of such programs, including Spb PP.

And just to follow up on this, most of the resource consumption complaints that exist in forums are for older versions of Pocket Plus. The latest is quite resource-efficient, so don't worry too much about Pocket Plus bringing your device to a halt.

floepie
08-20-2006, 06:27 PM
I suppose this is just a curiousity whether these today plug-ins chew up memory when the plug-in is not active, but yet the other components of IE, pExplorer, etc. are active.

Brad Adrian
08-20-2006, 07:57 PM
The Spb applications are pretty smart in that respect. However, if you have other kinds of utilities installed, like battery monitors, they can utilize resources even if they're not loading on the Today screen.