View Full Version : Best PC based GPS enabled mapping software

aroma
08-17-2006, 05:55 PM
What is your favoriate GPS / mapping software solution for a PC (not PPC). US region, please.

Darius Wey
08-18-2006, 12:38 AM
I find Microsoft MapPoint (http://www.microsoft.com/mappoint/default.mspx) quite impressive. It also includes Pocket Streets 2006 for the Pocket PC.

Sven Johannsen
08-18-2006, 03:25 AM
I find Microsoft MapPoint (http://www.microsoft.com/mappoint/default.mspx) quite impressive. It also includes Pocket Streets 2006 for the Pocket PC.
What does MapPoint do for you that Streets and Trips doesn't? And do you think it worth the $ difference to the average consumer?

Darius Wey
08-18-2006, 05:04 AM
What does MapPoint do for you that Streets and Trips doesn't? And do you think it worth the $ difference to the average consumer?

For the average consumer, Streets and Trips is more than enough, and the more affordable option too. Both are powered by the same engine, but MapPoint has a more programmable backbone targeting businesses (something the average consumer wouldn't really use).

Definitely stick with Streets and Trips, if that's what you have.

aroma
08-18-2006, 01:40 PM
I actually already have MapPoint 2006, and also have Delorme's Street Atlas 2006. I was just trying to find out what other options are out there.

Sven Johannsen
08-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Rand McNally has one I believe. There is also a series called Topo by National Gegraphic (not the TopoUSA by Delorme) that is more for off road use. I think you've hit on the two most mature and popular ones. I actually kind of like Delorme's but still prefer S$T, or Mappoint. The Delorme handheld one has a very strange interface, isn't exceptionally stable, but has some interesting capabilities. AFAIK it is the only one that can move waypoints and rutes both directions. It also allows cutting Maps with most of DeLormes PC apps for PPC use. That is you can cut maps from ToPOUSA and Street Atlas for use on the handheld.

jezebelus
04-26-2007, 07:11 PM
GoogleEarth has gps support I think