View Full Version : Problems opening WAV and TIF files

Kremlar
08-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Hey -

I'm a new PocketPC user and have 2 issues I'm hoping to resolve.

I receive both faxes and voice mails through my email. When the email gets to my phone, the attachments are there but I am unable to open them.

The faxes come through as TIF files, and when I try to open them it says "unrecognized file type".

The voicemails come through as WAV files, and when I try open them it says "cannot play back the audio stream". It tries to open them in MediaPlayer.

I'm assuming I need some sort of TIF/image viewer for the PocketPC, but I've never installed an outside application on it. Is it easy to do? Can anyone recommend an image viewer?

I'm not sure what to do about the WAV file. It does play back on my desktop PC no problem. Is there maybe a different WAV player I could try, or is there maybe a codec pack I should install?

My phone is a Audiovox BTR6700 if that helps, running Windows Mobile version 5.0.

I greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks!

JonnoB
08-15-2006, 03:39 PM
First of all, there is no native TIF viewer on the pocket pc. Fax images are usually class F type TIF images with multiple pages capability and most TIF viewers are not. The one exception I know about is the Tascal viewer. The other option may be that your fax software supports another file type for delivery like PDF.

As for the wav files, if they use a codec not native to the pocketpc, it will not play in the media player. For example, Truespeech is a codec in Windows on the desktop but not in the mobile realm. See if the software supports GSM compression which is standard form of compression on both the desktop Windows and Windows Mobile.

My company makes software that does both (fax and voice) for the enterprise in case you want to integrate with Outlook and/or Exchange. See www.2point.com