View Full Version : want info on my handheld to overwrite info on computer

crabstix
08-13-2006, 07:56 PM
I had to do a hard reset and a restore using ipaq backup today. All my info came back as expected (phew!)

When I synced using active sync (v 3.8.0) a message came up saying that I had 100's of entries which were not syncronized. It gave me 3 options. Either

1) to combine the data on my desktop with handheld
2) to let the information on my computer to overwrite my handheld
or 3) to choose NOT to sync the data

I chose 3 for safety reasons.

The problem is that I want the info on my handheld to overwrite the info on outlook. There doesnt seem to be this option. I had already set active syc rules to 'always replace items on this computer' and the settings are set up to syncronise all appointments.

How can I get my the data on my handheld to overwrite the info on my pc?

I am afraid combining them will make duplicates and cause more problems!

Janak Parekh
08-13-2006, 08:07 PM
You're right that there is no such option, and it's hugely irritating.

The solution is to delete all the data from the desktop, and then to sync. The way I've usually done this is to delete the .PST (Outlook datafile), and have Outlook set up a fresh new one -- ActiveSync then happily repopulates the data and doesn't complain. Of course, this may not be feasible for you... deleting all the items in the individual folders might work too; I can't remember if AS will merge properly, but I suspect it will.

Be careful, though, and back up your desktop (and keep your Pocket PC's backup handy); this way, you won't lose anything in the worst-case scenario.

--janak

Sven Johannsen
08-13-2006, 09:37 PM
I generally have just used the combine option. AS does a pretty good job of recognizing identical records and not duplicating them in this sort of situation. It is not 100%, and you will undoubtedly get some, but it has always been managable. There are duplicat cleaners around too. I find inadvertant duplcates either to deal with than inadvertant deletions.

Nurhisham Hussein
08-14-2006, 01:30 AM
I use the combine option, too, then run this program (http://www.slipstick.com/files/ODR5.EXE) to get rid of any duplicates. Apologies in advance for the direct link, the author's website no longer carries it.

Janak Parekh
08-14-2006, 07:17 PM
I generally have just used the combine option. AS does a pretty good job of recognizing identical records and not duplicating them in this sort of situation. It is not 100%, and you will undoubtedly get some, but it has always been managable.
Most definitely not in my experience. I find nuking the .PST works perfectly, every single time. ;)

I find inadvertant duplcates either to deal with than inadvertant deletions.
Well, okay, that's true. Let me clarify: wiping the desktop is primarily useful when you're overwriting it with known-newer information. I find this particularly useful when setting up two-PC sync.

--janak

Sven Johannsen
08-15-2006, 05:28 AM
AS does a pretty good job of recognizing identical records and not duplicating them in this sort of situation.
Most definitely not in my experience.--janak

Well computing is nothing if not consistant ;) We keep striving for computers that are more and more human, and we get ones that are more and more unpredictable...well, duh! :lol: