View Full Version : pocket pc is acting strange.

Old Iron Toe
08-13-2006, 07:37 AM
I just got a new pocket pc. It's only a week or so old. On friday, I had it in the cradle, using it as a wireless modem on my home pc. I was having trouble connecting my home pc to the internet, so I called tech support on my mom's cell phone. In the meantime, my boss called me on my pocket pc. I never knew that she had called me until later when she told me that she could hear my conversation with tech support, but that I was unable to hear her. In fact, I had never answered my pocket pc, because I wasn't aware that I had a phone call comming in.

Today, I had went to the store for ice cream and I called my wife to ask her if there was anything else she needed. We talked a couple of minutes and I hung up...or so I thought....When I got home, she told me that my pocket pc kept dialing her cell phone that that she was able to hear me in the store while I was checking out. I took a quick look at my phone and sure enough it had never hung up....

Not to mention the privacy issue, but this could chew up a person's minutes pretty quick....Is my pocket pc buggy?

Cybrid
08-14-2006, 09:47 AM
I just got a new pocket pc. It's only a week or so old. On friday, I had it in the cradle, using it as a wireless modem on my home pc. I was having trouble connecting my home pc to the internet, so I called tech support on my mom's cell phone. In the meantime, my boss called me on my pocket pc. I never knew that she had called me until later when she told me that she could hear my conversation with tech support, but that I was unable to hear her. In fact, I had never answered my pocket pc, because I wasn't aware that I had a phone call comming in.

Today, I had went to the store for ice cream and I called my wife to ask her if there was anything else she needed. We talked a couple of minutes and I hung up...or so I thought....When I got home, she told me that my pocket pc kept dialing her cell phone that that she was able to hear me in the store while I was checking out. I took a quick look at my phone and sure enough it had never hung up....

Not to mention the privacy issue, but this could chew up a person's minutes pretty quick....Is my pocket pc buggy? Yes and no? Mine did the same at first too. It seems that if the "wake when button is pushed feature" is enabled the thing will wake up and if the green button is depressed...it connects to the last incoming/outgoing #. Had a few stupid moments like that meself. It's actually common to non-clamshell phones of all types. My friends old Nokia dialled me all the time unbeknownst to him since my name starts with A.

Try start>settings>personal>buttons>lock> uncheck/check when device is off...lock all buttons except power button
and
press the green call button to see if that triggers calls.

Urban myth...
A woman got a call the night before her wedding from her fiance and heard him arguing and then having make-up sex with her best friend because his phone did exactly that. Phone model unknown. 8O

Old Iron Toe
08-14-2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks Cybrid. For the second time you have helped me out. I will give that a try and let you know if it works. Thanks a bunch!

MTIW Podcast
08-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Sounds like what Cybrid is describing is what is in fact happening. Do you have a feature that can lock your device so that if accidentally pressed, your ppc wont spontaneously turn on? I believe that there are free software add-ons that address this issue but I'd have to get back to you on that. Oh, a quick question if you don't mind, what brand and/or model is your pocket pc/cell hybrid?

Cheers

Cybrid
08-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Sounds like what Cybrid is describing is what is in fact happening. Do you have a feature that can lock your device so that if accidentally pressed, your ppc wont spontaneously turn on? I believe that there are free software add-ons that address this issue but I'd have to get back to you on that. Oh, a quick question if you don't mind, what brand and/or model is your pocket pc/cell hybrid?

Cheers He has an UTStarcomm 6700 like myself. And 3rd party software isn't needed since the buton lock I directed him to does work for me.

jsuits
08-15-2006, 06:23 PM
I am having similar problems with my new XV-6700. I found the lock keys option but it doesn't seem to work all that well for me. I haven't had problems with the Chapstick in my purse making calls from the green phone button, but if I leave the phone on the screen it will make calls (usually redialing the last number called) without my knowledge. I just make sure that I hit the Today screen or something else before I put the phone in my purse. I also think a hard case would help.

Other problems. I cannot figure out what software works on this thing. It is running WM5 (I guess the smartphone version?). I know it runs software specifically designed for the .NET framework, for WM5 and I assume for earlier versions of WM, but some software says it runs on:

PocketPC
ARM
MIPS
WindowsCE
SH3
PC Windows Mobile

And many more. Which of these will work on my WM5 device?

Also, I am looking for a program which will allow me to place icons on my Today screen like my PC's desktop. I have seen several, but have no idea which would be a good one. I would prefer freeware of course, but a moderately priced one would be fine. Any suggestions?

Janak Parekh
08-15-2006, 06:28 PM
I am having similar problems with my new XV-6700. I found the lock keys option but it doesn't seem to work all that well for me.
You are correct that locking the keys won't lock the touch screen. I don't think the XV6700 has a lock screen functionality (unlike, say, the 700w). A case would indeed help.

Other problems. I cannot figure out what software works on this thing. It is running WM5 (I guess the smartphone version?).
No, to be precise, it runs WM5 for Pocket PCs. It should run (almost) all software for Pocket PC 2002 and 2003. Pocket PC 2000 is an interesting case: it supported multiple processor types. If you do indeed come across the ARM/MIPS/SH3 designation, you want to choose ARM, as that's the kind of processor the device has.

PC Windows Mobile
I'm not quite sure what this is. 8O If you have a link, let us know.

Also, I am looking for a program which will allow me to place icons on my Today screen like my PC's desktop. I have seen several, but have no idea which would be a good one. I would prefer freeware of course, but a moderately priced one would be fine. Any suggestions?
You can try searching for "launcher"-type apps on our forums; we've covered a few. The one I know of and have used, off the top of my head, is Spb's Pocket Plus (http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/pocketplus/?en), although that's not free.

--janak

Cybrid
08-15-2006, 06:48 PM
I am having similar problems with my new XV-6700. I found the lock keys option but it doesn't seem to work all that well for me. I haven't had problems with the Chapstick in my purse making calls from the green phone button, but if I leave the phone on the screen it will make calls (usually redialing the last number called) without my knowledge. Indulge me for a moment....
My soon to be wife tends to hold the power button down, which turns the backlight off keeping the screen on. It would look like its off but...is running..It's a powersave feature. Tilt the screen towards bright light and you'll notice its running. Taps/buttons trigger response.
Just a short tap on the power button will turn it off/ screen tilt will show no dark image and no amount of taps on the screen will activate anything. If buttons are locked. She's dead to the world unless the power button is tapped.
Also a word of advice...my wife's habit of carrying her phone in her purse has led to the serial port on the bottom of her phone to become caked with lipstick...
A similar cosmetic case mishap may make that phone....real pretty. :oops:

jsuits
08-15-2006, 08:40 PM
It would look like its off but...is running..It's a powersave feature. Tilt the screen towards bright light and you'll notice its running. Taps/buttons trigger response. Just a short tap on the power button will turn it off/ screen tilt will show no dark image and no amount of taps on the screen will activate anything. If buttons are locked. She's dead to the world unless the power button is tapped.

Yes, yes this happens to me too. When this happens I have tried tapping, clicking, pressing and holding just about everything. The only way I have figured out how to get the backlight back on is to tilt it squint a lot and click/struggle/guess my way around until I find the backlight setting. I have tried tapping the power button, but it doesn't work for me. What should I do when this happens?

Also a word of advice...my wife's habit of carrying her phone in her purse has led to the serial port on the bottom of her phone to become caked with lipstick...

How silly of your wife-to-be to put her PDA in her purse without a case. I would never do that (well, I haven't done it since I got a tasty mixture of chewing gum and tobacco stuck in the USB opening of my last one).

I keep it in a relatively hard leather case within my purse, but still have problems with the phone dialing by itself. I am thinking of getting a metal case for it. That should do it.

Janak Parekh
08-15-2006, 10:30 PM
I have tried tapping the power button, but it doesn't work for me. What should I do when this happens?
Have you tried press-and-holding the power button? That should toggle the backlight both on and off.

--janak

Cybrid
08-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Yes, yes this happens to me too. When this happens I have tried tapping, clicking, pressing and holding just about everything. The only way I have figured out how to get the backlight back on is to tilt it squint a lot and click/struggle/guess my way around until I find the backlight setting. I have tried tapping the power button, but it doesn't work for me. What should I do when this happens?
Quick tap=on/off
Press and hold for 2 seconds (toggles backlight on/off)
HTH

How silly of your wife-to-be to put her PDA in her purse without a case. I would never do that (well, I haven't done it since I got a tasty mixture of chewing gum and tobacco stuck in the USB opening of my last one). Nope, no PDA, just a regular phone...She thinks I overreacted. What's the big deal? :roll:

I keep it in a relatively hard leather case within my purse, but still have problems with the phone dialing by itself. I am thinking of getting a metal case for it. That should do it. True....True. A metal case would do it but...I've a feeling without a BT headset, you'll miss calls.
But I've learned not to stand in the way of women and shopping. Have fun. :)

jwelsh8
08-30-2006, 09:08 PM
I have recently been having some problems with my phone making calls that I don't want it to while it's in my bag, so I thought I would do a Google search (and I came across this thread). It came to a head yesterday when my wife heard me talking to a saleswoman as I shopped for her anniversary gift. Not sure if she heard "enough," but I felt it was enough to look into this.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but when I shut off my PPC 6700 -- all the way "off" so that the screen is not ghosted, it is comletely blank -- I find that the screen sometimes comes full brightness all by itself. After five minutes or so. It does this at night while I am charging it, and it does it while it is in my bag during work. I am not sure what to do to turn it off and keep it off. Might it have something to do with leaving "Programs Running"?

Nurhisham Hussein
08-31-2006, 12:01 AM
That sounds very much like Activesync on your device is waking it up. You can reference this post (http://www.firstloox.org/forums/showpost.php?p=57424&postcount=5) for info on how to get over this.