View Full Version : Removing unwanted software that came with phone

q-live
08-13-2006, 02:43 AM
there is software like msn messager that came with the phone but i dont see where it lets me remove it under the uninstall programs like others.... is there anyway i can take this kind of software off to make more room on the phone?????

MTIW Podcast
08-13-2006, 03:16 AM
I'm sorry to say, but I am not sure that you would want to do that. You see, MSN and other phone default apps were made to be part of the OS for that specific phone carrier's phones. Such applications don't take up much space so I don't see the point in trying to uninstall those apps. I'm guessing it's possible to delete the .exe and other files (if you can find them) but I highly do not recommend that mostly because we're not sure what other apps use the same files that MSN Messenger or those other programs are using. Besides that, you're going to have many unlinked registry files which will make your system very chaotic in structure. There are probably ways to do this kind of stuff but i don't recommend it.

Menneisyys
08-13-2006, 06:03 AM
there is software like msn messager that came with the phone but i dont see where it lets me remove it under the uninstall programs like others.... is there anyway i can take this kind of software off to make more room on the phone?????

MSN Messenger is in ROM in all WM2003+ devices; therefore, you can't delete it.

However, operators generally customize their PPC PE devices. During the initial cuztomization process, a lot of additional pps may be installed on your device. You, after a hard reset, may want to stop this process.

Also, you may want to unlock the External Rom (if it's possible - depends on the model and the ROM version) because, then, you'll also be able to use it too for storage.

jickbahtech
08-13-2006, 08:07 PM
I unlocked the ROM on my 6700 and freed up about 5MB of space, but Messenger isnt a program that gets installed, it's part of the operating system. I don't use it either, so in file explorer I went to Windows --> Start Menu --> Programs, and deleted the link to it so it wasn't in my programs folder.

Darius Wey
08-14-2006, 03:29 AM
I unlocked the ROM on my 6700 and freed up about 5MB of space, but Messenger isnt a program that gets installed, it's part of the operating system. I don't use it either, so in file explorer I went to Windows --> Start Menu --> Programs, and deleted the link to it so it wasn't in my programs folder.

Bear in mind, though, that step only removes the shortcut file, not the actual program files. So, whatever space Messenger consumes in ROM is not freed up.