View Full Version : Need Help setting up Outgoing E-mail server on Imate PDA II

stylinexpat
08-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Does anyone know of any settings that can be used any where in the world if one travels often and replaces their sim card when in different countries to send e-mails? I can receive e-mails but am unable to send e-mails. I need outgoing server settings for e-mails that can be used for sending e-mails from any where one goes on a PDA using a GSM card through GPRS.

Paragon
08-12-2006, 06:51 PM
In your email settings under options when entering your server info check the box to authenticate your email. If that doesn't work then under settings when you check that box enter your ISP's password and user ID.

Dave

stylinexpat
08-12-2006, 06:56 PM
I tried that but it did not work. On the Nokia E60 for example that I have it will receive as well but can not send and it does not have that box to check for Authentication. I set it up on there like I would on my Outlook Express account settings. Works on the computer but won't work on the pda for sending mail. :cry:

Paragon
08-12-2006, 07:14 PM
If you are using a PDA2K then go to your inbox, check tools/options/accounts/your account/next/next/next...you should now be on the page to enter incoming and outgoing mail server info. Tap on the options box, then tap next. Now you should see a page that includes a box for "Outgoing mail requires Authentication". If that doesn't fix it then check the box that says "use seperate settings" and tapthe "outgoing settings" box. Now enter the user ID and password for you ISP.

What is happening here is that you are using a different mail server from the one for the cellular network you are using for your data. Most ISPs require any email being sent through their server that is coming from another, nust be authenticated. Otherwise people could send huge amounts of email data through a server they are not authorized to use.

If you still have problems then check with your cellular provider they likely provide an email account you can send from.

Dave

stylinexpat
08-12-2006, 07:19 PM
If you are using a PDA2K then go to your inbox, check tools/options/accounts/your account/next/next/next...you should now be on the page to enter incoming and outgoing mail server info. Tap on the options box, then tap next. Now you should see a page that includes a box for "Outgoing mail requires Authentication". If that doesn't fix it then check the box that says "use seperate settings" and tapthe "outgoing settings" box. Now enter the user ID and password for you ISP.

What is happening here is that you are using a different mail server from the one for the cellular network you are using for your data. Most ISPs require any email being sent through their server that is coming from another, nust be authenticated. Otherwise people could send huge amounts of email data through a server they are not authorized to use.

If you still have problems then check with your cellular provider they likely provide an email account you can send from.

Dave

Thanks dave for your help and input,
I do not have the PDA IIK buthave teh regular PDA II which the one without the keyboard. they should be the same other then the keyboard. I had tried that as well. When I called up the Cellular Service Provider they told me that I had to check with my internet provider and get the account settings from them. When I called them up they told me that they were the same. when I travel through different countries and replace sim cards I have tried calling them up as well for assistance and they said that I have to enter the same settings That I use with outlook express from my internet service provider.

Paragon
08-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Sorry, my bad.

Even on an XDAII you should still have the box to authenticate email.

Otherwise I would call your cellular network, don't ask for help. Ask if you have an email account associated with your account. If so ask for the outgoing mail server, password, and user ID, then use those on your XDAII

Traveling in other countries as you do, you may still run into problems. You can always use something like Hotmail, or you may find a service such as http://www.smtp.com/ may be worth you while. Check it out. It allows you to use your existing email, but routes it through their servers. It does have a monthly fee.

Good luck
Dave

stylinexpat
08-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Sorry, my bad.

Even on an XDAII you should still have the box to authenticate email.

Otherwise I would call your cellular network, don't ask for help. Ask if you have an email account associated with your account. If so ask for the outgoing mail server, password, and user ID, then use those on your XDAII

Traveling in other countries as you do, you may still run into problems. You can always use something like Hotmail, or you may find a service such as http://www.smtp.com/ may be worth you while. Check it out. It allows you to use your existing email, but routes it through their servers. It does have a monthly fee.

Good luck
Dave

I went to that website and joined, payed the subscription fee for the year and told them what I needed. The information was not available until after you subscribed. After subscribing they sent me this link only after complaining about not finding their link on how to set up Pocket PC'S. Any ways they sent me this:
http://www.smtp.com/client_setup.htm

I go to the site and there is nothing about setting up a Pocket PC or for an example Nokia Phones such as a Nokia N80 with e-mail capabilities. :roll:

Paragon
08-13-2006, 07:56 PM
It's been a very long time since I've used this sevice, but I think the only thing you should have to do to get it going is enter smtp.com as the outgoing mail server on your device.

Dave