View Full Version : Problem with QMAIL + GMail

JesterMania
08-11-2006, 05:06 AM
I currently have a problem regarding QMAIL's interaction with my GMail account and would appreciate if somebody can give me some insight as to how to solve this.

Basically, I want QMAIL to download all the mail from my GMail account's inbox. I will then selectively delete certain e-mails and have them deleted in GMail's inbox as well. This way, I won't have to delete my mail twice (once on my ppc, and once on my PC). However, this isn't happening. It seems that whatever I do in QMAIL's inbox, it doesn't carry over to GMail's inbox and vice versa. For example, I delete a message in QMAIL and it's still in GMail when I check it on my main PC. The reverse is also true - I delete a message from GMail and it's still in QMAIL.

Does QMAIL not support this feature or should I go with another mail client such as Flexmail?

albc1974
08-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Well GMail only supports POP access, and what you're asking for seems to be IMAP functionality (I'm just guessing since I don't actually use IMAP). So whether you use qmail or Flexmail, it shouldn't matter. But, it might be possible.

Anyway, the first part (deleting in qmail will delete from GMail) might be possible in some e-mail clients. I've seen a setting "Remove from server when deleted from 'Deleted Items'" in 'Outlook' and this might be available in other clients as well (I don't see something like this in qmail). I've never actually tried this setting though.

The second part (delete a message in GMail will delete from qmail) isn't something that is typically done with a POP account. Once you download it into your e-mail client, you still have to delete it from that client, even if you deleted it on the server. That said, qmail has a setting 'Delete local messages after deleting from server'. Did you try this? I haven't seen this setting in other clients, so I've never tried it out.

Finally, GMail has some idiosyncrasies with their POP implementation. So even if those features worked with other POP accounts, it might not work in GMail.