View Full Version : Palm TX vs LifeDrive vs. Dell Axim 51V

joderias
08-10-2006, 10:14 AM
If you could receive any of these palms for free (really, don't think in the spending to vote for your favorite), which one will you prefer?

1) Palm TX with 4 GB SD card
2) Palm LifeDrive
3) Dell Axim 51 V with 4 GB SD card (keep in mind you could add an 4, or 8 GB Compact Flash as well)

I've used the LifeDrive and the infrared problem is getting me on my nerves. I have to backup my whole memory a lot of times, and my unit resets every week or so (then I lose the infrared, which forces me to do a hard reset, and install the latest backup)

I've tried the Dell Axim 51V with 16 MB of graphic accelerator and it seems a very nice unit.

However I don't like the 'windows based' OS that much (viruses, firewalls, more costs in security..). ANyway, it seems like a better option than my current LifeDrive.

I appreciate your thoughts. I've heard the TX is like the LifeDrive, but stable

Steven Cedrone
08-10-2006, 12:56 PM
I'd be willing to bet that most people on this site will vote for the Dell... :wink:

Darius Wey
08-10-2006, 12:58 PM
However I don't like the 'windows based' OS that much (viruses, firewalls, more costs in security..). ANyway, it seems like a better option than my current LifeDrive.

How much experience do you have with Windows Mobile?

Anti-virus software and firewalls: these are two things you really do not have to worry about when dealing with Windows Mobile. The security threats are negligible, especially for end-users.

Palm OS is on the decline, and well, it's pretty much dug its own grave. If I had to pick between the three, I'd go with the X51v, not just because I feel Windows Mobile is a more solid offering, but also because the PDA itself is packed with powerful features and offers plenty of bang for buck.

joderias
08-10-2006, 09:01 PM
I don't have a lot of experience with WM,but it seems it's better than palm os.
I used a Dell Axi v51 fora couple of weeks and liked it a lot
I appropriate your comments.
What are the major aspects in which WM is better than palm os?

Darius Wey
08-11-2006, 06:19 PM
What are the major aspects in which WM is better than palm os?

This is a very broad topic. An answer to this question could stretch over many pages.

I suggest reading this page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Mobile) for an insight into Windows Mobile's rich feature set.

joderias
08-15-2006, 07:42 AM
I will read the link u mentioned
Yesterday I bought a Dell Axim 51v
I like the keyboard, multitasking, more cpu, 3d games (except for warfare incorporated ), infrared and stability, and screen
For those reasons I bought the Axim, instead of the TX

tap0utt
08-15-2006, 10:37 AM
thumbs up for a good choice.

last palm i had was a T3. wouldnt go back for anything.

Darius Wey
08-15-2006, 11:10 AM
I will read the link u mentioned
Yesterday I bought a Dell Axim 51v
I like the keyboard, multitasking, more cpu, 3d games (except for warfare incorporated ), infrared and stability, and screen
For those reasons I bought the Axim, instead of the TX

Great purchase. Enjoy your new toy. :)