View Full Version : Text messaging pictures

Old Iron Toe
08-09-2006, 08:25 AM
I just got a new pocket pc (UT Starcom ppc6700) and I am trying to send pictures to my wife on her phone. We used to be able to do this on our Motorola phones. I just can't seem to figure it out. The insert command is greyed out. My old phone the motorola E815 was so easy compaired to this thing, I am almost sick that I got rid of it. Any suggestions?

nitestrike
08-09-2006, 11:55 AM
Are you using pocket Outlook to send messages? If you are, make sure you are using the MMS Account and not the Text Messaging account. There should be an option in the menu to switch accounts.

Do you have Verizon as your carrier, or is it Telus?

Old Iron Toe
08-10-2006, 03:08 AM
My carrier is Alltel. I was trying to use the text/picture messenger without sending through email. Not possible?

nitestrike
08-10-2006, 03:54 AM
I know on my Windows Mobile devices, 2003 and 5.0 they have accounts for sending Text and Media messaging with the mail client that does not use e-mail. My experience is with GSM carriers and device though. But carriers have the option of making changes and so do the device manufactures. It sounds like steps are correct, just make sure that you are using the "Outlook E-mail" account in the mail client, and also verify with Alltel that your phone and account are provisioned correctly.

Here are the instructions I found that on the Alltel site, I'm sure you've looked at numerous times, just wanted to make sure.

Send a Picture Message
1. Tap the Start Menu
2. Select Messages
3. Select Outlook E-mail from the top drop-down (Show)
4. Press the Left Soft Key (New) or tap New
5. Press the Right Soft Key (Menu) or tap Menu
6. Select Insert
7. Select Picture
8. Select a picture to attach to the message
9. Complete the message and tap Send

Old Iron Toe
08-10-2006, 06:11 AM
Thanks bud. I have been reading everything that I could google. Thanks for the info. Apparently my email isn't set up correctly. I will try and re-do it and see if it works. Thanks again.

nitestrike
08-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Glad to have been of some help. If you have not already, I would call of Alltel and make sure they provisioned the phone correctly. Sometimes the settings don't always take on the phone or switch side, this usually happens when a feature(s) change and/or get a new device.

Janak Parekh
08-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks bud. I have been reading everything that I could google. Thanks for the info. Apparently my email isn't set up correctly.
In my experience with Verizon WM5 devices, it's not email setup -- Verizon includes, out-of-the-box, an "MMS Messages" mailbox which you must use to send MMSes.

I have no idea if Alltel bundles it or not. You may want to search for "Alltell 6700" on this and other forums to see if people are experiencing a similar problem...

Good luck.

--janak

Janak Parekh
08-10-2006, 11:37 PM
I know on my Windows Mobile devices, 2003 and 5.0 they have accounts for sending Text and Media messaging with the mail client that does not use e-mail. My experience is with GSM carriers and device though. But carriers have the option of making changes and so do the device manufactures. It sounds like steps are correct, just make sure that you are using the "Outlook E-mail" account in the mail client
Why, if I may ask? The OP wants to send it without using email?

Here are the instructions I found that on the Alltel site, I'm sure you've looked at numerous times, just wanted to make sure.
Uh-oh. Does this mean Alltel doesn't bundle an MMS client? :(

--janak

nitestrike
08-10-2006, 11:56 PM
The Windows Mobile devices I have used make use of the Pocket Outlook client for SMS and MMS message handling with a separate accounts/profiles for each. The use of the Outlook E-mail account in the instructions seems odd to me too, I even called Alltell and verified the instructions, before I posted the steps above from the Alltel web site. As I do not have access to a 6700 with Alltel service I could not say for sure that this is the case.

Janak Parekh
08-11-2006, 03:31 PM
The Windows Mobile devices I have used make use of the Pocket Outlook client for SMS and MMS message handling with a separate accounts/profiles for each.
Exactly, and both are separate from Outlook Email.

The use of the Outlook E-mail account in the instructions seems odd to me too, I even called Alltell and verified the instructions, before I posted the steps above from the Alltel web site. As I do not have access to a 6700 with Alltel service I could not say for sure that this is the case.
If Alltel says this is the only way, it suggests to me that they do not install a MMS client on the Pocket PC. It's worth noting that MMS is not integrated into the base OS, but third-party solutions are often installed by carriers (like Verizon on the 700w or 6700).

(Thanks for calling Alltel and verifying this. Talk about beyond-the-call-of-duty community assistance! :))

--janak

Old Iron Toe
08-12-2006, 05:07 AM
Thanks so much to both of you. I just got home after visiting my alltel store. We spent several minutes on the phone with customer service. They don't offer picture and video messaging on my phone. I have to go through email to send a picture, but I can't send an email to my wife's phone. She can send a picture to my email and I can get it, but I can't send one to her. She has a motorola E815 and my phone is the pc6700. Bummer huh?

Janak Parekh
08-12-2006, 06:35 AM
Sorry to hear it. :( I guess Alltel decided not to bundle additional software that would enable two-way picture messaging.

Hopefully it'll be an integrated part of Windows Mobile one day...

--janak

nitestrike
08-12-2006, 12:21 PM
I would definitely have to say that is an issue and needs to be addressed if they plan on being more competitive with the national carriers. I might have to contact them because I would like to hear thier reasoning behind the decision to not include a MMS client option.

Janak Parekh
08-12-2006, 08:46 PM
I would definitely have to say that is an issue and needs to be addressed if they plan on being more competitive with the national carriers. I would also like to hear thier reasoning behind the decision to not include a MMS client option.
Well, I think part of the issue is Alltel is, and likely are planning to remain, a regional carrier. I'm guessing they just used the bare HTC ROM, without adding an MMS client.

--janak

Cybrid
08-13-2006, 04:13 AM
If Alltel says this is the only way, it suggests to me that they do not install a MMS client on the Pocket PC. It's worth noting that MMS is not integrated into the base OS, but third-party solutions are often installed by carriers (like Verizon on the 700w or 6700).

(Thanks for calling Alltel and verifying this. Talk about beyond-the-call-of-duty community assistance! :))

--janak An an FYI, Telus too. HoFo has a Verizon MMS to Sprint hack....

Old Iron Toe
08-14-2006, 05:46 AM
Another question? After reading eveyone's responses, I am led to believe that an MMS client is some kind of software. Would it be possible to buy the software and have it installed? After all, I pay an extra 15.00 bucks a month to be able to send as many text and pictures as I desire.

Janak Parekh
08-14-2006, 07:19 PM
Another question? After reading eveyone's responses, I am led to believe that an MMS client is some kind of software. Would it be possible to buy the software and have it installed? After all, I pay an extra 15.00 bucks a month to be able to send as many text and pictures as I desire.
That's a fantastic question... I don't know. You may want to poke around and do a few searches (here, Google, and some active 6700 forums like pdaphonehome.com); I think most MMS clients are sold to carriers, not end-users. :|

--janak

mobile v
08-25-2006, 10:11 AM
I got the PPC-6700 through Sprint and when I go to send a message, I can't find the MMS. I looked everywhere and it's either Outlook Email or Text msg. If you add a picture, it switches to outlook.

Does Sprint not support this or something?

Janak Parekh
08-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Again, MMS is not an integral part of Pocket PC -- an MMS client can optionally be installed by carriers. If it's not there, it's possible Sprint decided not to install one. You could contact them to confirm, and in the meantime, can use standard email to send pics and the like.

--janak