View Full Version : [REL]HX4700 BootLoader Tool - Recover from failed rom upgrade or get free WM5 :P

chrismrulz
08-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Hi all,
i've made a little program that will do the tedious effort of removing the header from the hx4700 rom(s) and sending to your device.

Simply put your hx4700 in bootloader mode by pressing ITASK+CONTACTS+RESET.
Then just open my tool, HX4700_BootLoader.exe and select an .nbf file.

It will automatically remove the first 2600 bytes of the rom, save it with the .nb0 extension and send it to your device using the mtty terminal emulator.

This tool is usefull if your hx4700 has only been partly flashed with hp's rom uploader utility and it is stuck in a bootloader loop. (rendering it useless)
some people cannot understand how to do it all so i decided to make this tool.

Coincidentally, this is the same tool that the moderators banned because it was labelled to upgrade from 2003SE to WM5 2.01.
it's not illegal, just HP's fault for making the way we recover from partly flashed roms the same way to get free WM5.

that being said, you CAN also use this tool with the .nbf file from the WM5 2.01 update to get free WM5.
but it is your decision to do that. this tool has a better use and it's not illegal.
the moderators have agreed to allow this for what it is, and its the same method you will find in many tutorials of how to recover from a partly flashed rom upgrade.

IMPORTANT: Make sure the .nbf file and path you select does not contain spaces!
e.g. C:\some folder\wm5 os.nbf << WRONG
C:\wm5_os.nbf << CORRECT
There is nothing i can do to fix this, you must just simply not have spaces in the file path. the problem lies with the bootloader application on the iPAQ.
usually HP uses a path without spaces, so it doesn't matter to them. infact it's best to leave it where HP's installer puts it.

Update: now kills activesync after selecting the .nbf file. only continues once activesync has closed.
now checks for installations of iPAQ roms. it will default to the newest installation you have. (e.g. it will go to the WM5 2.01 upgrade folder over 2003SE)
FOR THOSE ASKING ABOUT THE 'cannot connect with host' ERROR, please re-download the latest version and try it. i think it's now fixed.

Update: Just added support for an ini file to change settings like the port number and how many bytes to remove.
this means it could be used for more than just the HX4700's.

you can rename _settings.ini (that is auto-extracted) to settings.ini and change what you need. it is formatted like this:

[hexedit]
bytes=2600

[mtty]
port=\\.\WCEUSBSH001

Update:
Finally put an end to the "failed to synchronise" error!
I had actually already posted this as a fix before, but someone reported that they had tried it and it hadn't fixed anything.
I decided to wipe my hx4700 just to fix this for you guys.
tried the original and the beta versions i posted and got the error everyone said.
but with this new version i've tested it twice and didn't get the error.

as i said, this fix had already been posted before so i moved on with a new one and released it straight away.
if this still doesn't work for you, please post here.
but MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING THE LATEST VERSION FROM HERE before you say it doesn't work.
Also make sure you do not have any spaces in the file path.

Download: HX4700_BootLoader.exe (http://rapidshare.com/files/13376049/HX4700_BootLoader.exe)

if anyone wants to sponsor me..
my paypal is [email protected]
i usually don't ask for any donations,

but it's been a while since i've been able to work on this stuff,
as my touchscreen is broken and needs a repair from pocketpctechs.
it costs like over $200 to ship it from australia,
so if anyone can spare even like $10 each.. it would really help.

it would like to make it easier to use and add a gui that shows the status of copying the rom etc.. instead of the tty console.

PieM
08-11-2006, 08:09 AM
Hi,
I tried the manually method as you described in readme.txt and in tne mtty screen everything appears to be ok, but on the ipaq screen nothing has changed... the same bootloader screen..
Can you be more specific please?
My ipaq is stuck in Bootloader screen and I don't know what can I do to escape from this situation.

LATER: It worked great!!! Thank you very much!

chrismrulz
08-12-2006, 07:55 PM
LATER: It worked great!!! Thank you very much!

Glad to have helped.
some people have errors with it. you successfully upgraded the rom? its definitely working?

Phenomen
08-13-2006, 03:13 PM
I don't upgrading wm2003 to WM5 my hx4700. Please help me.

All the steps are ok (nbf changing, tty connection, vs), but last step is (nbf image upload) failed. And the TTY program is display this message "Fail to synchronize with the host (1)" and stops to operation.

MULTI-PORT/USB TTY SCREEN MESSAGES
------------------------------------------------------------------
password BOOTLOADER
HTCSPass.< YHTCEUSB>lnb 'C:\iPAQ\SP33318\CEOS_UPD.nb0'
:F='C:\iPAQ\SP33318\CEOS_UPD.nb0'
:A=80000000
:O=00040000
:L=FFFFFFFF

start NB image download

Fail to synchronize with the host (1)
USB>
-------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]

chrismrulz
08-13-2006, 05:29 PM
I don't upgrading wm2003 to WM5 my hx4700. Please help me.

All the steps are ok (nbf changing, tty connection, vs), but last step is (nbf image upload) failed. And the TTY program is display this message "Fail to synchronize with the host (1)" and stops to operation.

MULTI-PORT/USB TTY SCREEN MESSAGES
------------------------------------------------------------------
password BOOTLOADER
HTCSPass.< YHTCEUSB>lnb 'C:\iPAQ\SP33318\CEOS_UPD.nb0'
:F='C:\iPAQ\SP33318\CEOS_UPD.nb0'
:A=80000000
:O=00040000
:L=FFFFFFFF

start NB image download

Fail to synchronize with the host (1)
USB>
-------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]

this was the problem i was explaining.
but for one thing phenomen you are using the old version.
you need to download again from the link here.
but nobody has reported the new version to fix that problem you explained.
can't work out the reason for it either..

chrismrulz
08-19-2006, 02:32 AM
Update:
here is a test build based on the problems described by manni from Brighthand forums.
please let me know if the original hasn't worked for you but this has.
beta test download: http://rapidshare.de/files/29929877/HX4700_BootLoader.exe.html

chrismrulz
04-17-2007, 10:09 AM
if anyone wants to sponsor me..
my paypal is [email protected]
i usually don't ask for any donations,

but it's been a while since i've been able to work on this stuff,
as my touchscreen is broken and needs a repair from pocketpctechs.
it costs like over $200 to ship it from australia,
so if anyone can spare even like $10 each.. it would really help.

it would like to make it easier to use and add a gui that shows the status of copying the rom etc.. instead of the tty console.

thanks guys

robbb
05-31-2007, 03:40 PM
Hi chrismrulz,

any idea about Vista??

Tried to use your tool on Vista but the path seems to be different.
Did the path change on Vista? Can I figure it myself?

Should I be looking for an XP machine?

Thanx a lot,

robbb

booyeeka
06-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Hi!

I'm having problem by using this tool...

When I run HX4700_BootLoader.exe file, and then select nbf file, it creates nb0 file but, it returns the following error (together with backslashes):

\\.\WCEUSBSH001 port can not open

In INI file, I have tryed with several other combinatons, but error message is always the same.

Can you help me, because I don't know how to return my HP into life.

Thank you in advance!!!

robbb
06-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Well booyeeka,

what kinda windoze are U running, cause that is exactly the message I got on Vista!! :(

I then tried a friends XP machine and it just worked great!! :lol:

Thanx chrismrulz :!:

booyeeka
06-16-2007, 04:54 PM
hey robbb!

thank you on quick reply.

i have tryed on other pc, but i have same problem (i have tryed on xp mce and xp sp2).

also, i can not connect with mtty11a, i guess that there is a problem.

i have tryed with ports \\.\WCEUSBSH001, \\.\WCEUSBSH002, etc, but still no luck.

can you sugest me which port to try?

just to mention, i am connected via usb, and screen on HP is blue-white screen with HP logo.

please help
:-(

robbb
06-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Well I am not sure which other ports to try, but you should make sure your iPAQ is in the right state. Backlight should be off and it should show serial in the upper 3rd of the screen, that should change to USB as soon as you connect to USB.

Ciao,
robbb

booyeeka
06-16-2007, 08:04 PM
you are right, it looks like HP is not on correct state.

UPDATED: it worked! HP is alive again!!!
:-)

100000x tnx!!!!
:-)