View Full Version : MSAccess to Pocket Access - Windows Mobile 5 error

mgartner
08-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Hello,

I have a problem synching Microsoft Access files to Pocket Access. Every time I try to import an Access database to my device I get the error message: "An error occured... Access denied...".
This worked fine on my PocketPC 2003 SE device (MDA Compact).

The Windows Computer has a fresh setup of WindowsXP SP2 full patched.
The MIO A701 is also fresh installed. I'm using SprintDB Pro 3.0 for handling PocketAccess databases on my device.

I have followed all recommendations: hard reset with fresh install, soft reset, rebooting PC, reinstalling Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC). Deleting Active Sync partnership and so on...

But no success!

Is there a solution for this problem?
I't seems that I'm not the only one.

Thanks in advance!
Martin

Sven Johannsen
08-07-2006, 02:16 AM
Have you engaged the guys at KaioneSoft about this? MS eliminated the ability to sync with MS Access DBs with WM5 and AS 4. That is to say it is no longer included or supported. The ADOCE features that support .cdbs is no longert part of the OS. The OS uses a different DB architecture, more SQLish.

The only reason you have the ability to sync Access DBs is due to KaioneSoft adding the capability back with SprintDB 3. That is your average WM5 user with AS 4 doesn't even have Access as a sync option.

That why I recommend getting with them if you are having issues. It's their addition that is not working. Yes I'm having issues with it too, but it is not an OS or MS issue (other than they took it out).

mgartner
08-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Have you engaged the guys at KaioneSoft about this? MS eliminated the ability to sync with MS Access DBs with WM5 and AS 4. That is to say it is no longer included or supported. The ADOCE features that support .cdbs is no longert part of the OS. The OS uses a different DB architecture, more SQLish.

The only reason you have the ability to sync Access DBs is due to KaioneSoft adding the capability back with SprintDB 3. That is your average WM5 user with AS 4 doesn't even have Access as a sync option.

That why I recommend getting with them if you are having issues. It's their addition that is not working. Yes I'm having issues with it too, but it is not an OS or MS issue (other than they took it out).

Hi,

it is definitely an issue of the OS and Microsoft! In the meantime I have a solution:

The issue is related to the new Security Policys in Windows Mobile
5.0 based Phone edition machines!

Simply change the following registry key on the Windows Mobile 5 machine and the "access denied" error is gone:

Change the registry entry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001001
from 2 to 1

On my machine (MIO A701) I allways had the capability to sync MSAccess to Pocket Access DBs - also without installing a third party software (like SprintDB) - the only problem was the "access denied" error - which is based on the new security policies.

Sven Johannsen
08-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Took my own advice and contacted Kaionesoft about this. They had that patch to me within hours, which isn't bad for Sunday night ;)

Does your AS show Access as an Information Type? Mine doesn't at the moment, but did after I had installed some SprintDB componenets. Without that it makes it more difficult to manage the Access Sync, where you want the cdb, etc.

mgartner
08-08-2006, 07:11 AM
Took my own advice and contacted Kaionesoft about this. They had that patch to me within hours, which isn't bad for Sunday night ;)

Does your AS show Access as an Information Type? Mine doesn't at the moment, but did after I had installed some SprintDB componenets. Without that it makes it more difficult to manage the Access Sync, where you want the cdb, etc.

The regkey i posted above was also a hint from Kaione Soft.!

I had the Pocket Access entry in Active Sync immediately after fresh installation of my MIO A701.
The only problem was the access denied error...

Sven Johannsen
08-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Interesting. I did not have Access as an option to check untill after I installed SprintDB 3. Even then it had not place to check it until I actually let it install on my K-Jam. Before installing on the K-Jam I was able to drag DBs to it and AS would convert them, but there was no check mark to make it sync them. Installing SprintDB on the K-Jam and rebooting both machines exposed the check box and then it syncs fine.

This Access to .cdb thing is a bit flaky IMHO, and likely to get worse with the lack of MS support for the whole thing. I'm just hoping MS will do something to support Access use on the WM platform.