View Full Version : Free music player with lock?

Verdagon
08-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Hey everyone,

I've done a few searches, and nothing's shown up... I'm looking for something where I can disable the screen and the buttons on my pocket pc while it's playing music.

I'm mainly looking for a music player with this as one of its features, but if there's some sort of standalone hack that will do this... that's good too. Free would be nice ;) but tell me any commercial ones if you don't know of any free ones.

Does anyone know of anything like this?

It's a really big problem... I put my pocket pc in my pocket, and an hour later, huge sections of my documents have been selected and sometimes deleted. Very scary stuff.

Thank you so much for your time :)

- E

Joseph Moon
08-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Neither of these two players are free... But after paying the $19 and seeing what you get over the standard WMP - it will seem like you got it for free.

Try Pocket Player or Pocket Music. Both are great players... Pocket Music is less memory hungry and works well on a Treo 700w.

Joseph...

ADBrown
08-06-2006, 01:01 AM
The Core Pocket Media Player has an option to disable the screen while playing, and you could also tell it to map the buttons to something harmless while it's open. TCPMP is free.

http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/

Darius Wey
08-06-2006, 03:38 AM
Also, check out GSPlayer (http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA032810/). It's a free audio player that features button locking and many other useful things.

ctmagnus
08-07-2006, 01:17 AM
Try Pocket Player or Pocket Music. Both are great players... Pocket Music is less memory hungry and works well on a Treo 700w.

Actually, the cab file for Pocket Player is 2,137 KB and the cab file for Pocket Music is 3,765 KB. So Pocket Player is likely less memory hungry, although I've never done any empirical tests. But certainly, both are less memory hungry than WMP.

Joseph Moon
08-07-2006, 06:51 AM

Actually, the cab file for Pocket Player is 2,137 KB and the cab file for Pocket Music is 3,765 KB. So Pocket Player is likely less memory hungry...
Regardless of .CAB size - it comes down to which player requires more processor/memory to function without causing a drop out while playing music and/or slowing down other applications.

Clearly, from my experience - Pocket Music performs flawlessly while Pocket Player had difficulty. Both players were tested under the same circumstances on my Treo 700w.

Now to be fair, this is probably more of an issue of the limitations on the Treo 700w and it's lack of memory than a fault of the player.

Joseph...

ctmagnus
08-07-2006, 07:02 AM
What CPU does the 700W have? X-Scale 300MHz?

I have no issues with Pocket Player on my 200-ish MHz Omap JAMin, but I read that its CPU is roughly equivalent to a 350MHz X-Scale, so that may affect my perceived results.