View Full Version : Question about backup programs and WM 5

David_C
08-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Since the program is now in ROM (WM5), and I store 99% of my applications/games on a storage card, do I need a backup program?

I just started thinking about it and deicded to ask :)

Dave

applejosh
08-06-2006, 01:07 AM
Yes.

(Stuff happens. eg. You may wake up to a system that hangs at boot and a hard reset may be necessary.)

David_C
08-06-2006, 01:29 AM
I understand that, but since it is stored in ROM, won't the programs survive a hard reset since they are installed on CF/SD cards?? :)

I am sure I am overlooking something obvious :)

Dave

Darius Wey
08-06-2006, 03:40 AM
I understand that, but since it is stored in ROM, won't the programs survive a hard reset since they are installed on CF/SD cards?? :)

A hard reset won't affect the data on your storage card, but it will still wipe your registry and any special system files installed by your applications. That's enough to render any applications on your storage card useless.

A backup application is highly recommended. Check out Spb Backup or Sprite Backup.

David_C
08-06-2006, 03:41 AM
Ahhh ok.

Now I see why :)

Thanks!!!

Dave C

Menneisyys
08-06-2006, 07:50 AM
In addition to Spb and Sprite Backup, I also recommend SKTools. The new, 3.x series, at last, has flawless WM5 backup capabilities. See the article at http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50406 for more info.