View Full Version : Activesync mistake

miketh55
08-04-2006, 09:50 PM
I foolishly installed activesync 4.2 on my axim x50v running pocket pc 2003 and regardless of numetous reinstallations of activesync 3.8 cannot communicate with the axim.

Has anyone any advice?

Darius Wey
08-05-2006, 03:30 AM
You can't perform a reinstallation of ActiveSync 3.8 when a higher version is running on your computer, so you'll need to uninstall ActiveSync 4.2 first, before installing ActiveSync 3.8.

First, use "Add/Remove Programs" to uninstall ActiveSync 4.2. Next, reset your computer, and then install ActiveSync 3.8. If the last step fails, then there are a few files you'll need to delete first. If that's the case, let me know and I'll give you the list.

miketh55
08-05-2006, 09:26 AM
Thank you. I have uninstalled 4.2 and rebooted and loaded 3.8 with no success. I have uninstalled 3.8 a few times and deleted the active sync folder. I have run norton systemworks to remove registry references with no success.

The connection icon indicates the connection to the axim is active but then stops rotating and will not perform any action (such as bringing up the sync screen)

If there are certain extra files to be deleted I would appreciate a list.

Thanks again

Darius Wey
08-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Well, you've deleted the ActiveSync folder, which is all that needed to be deleted prior to installation of ActiveSync 3.8. There are some registry keys to nuke as well. Doing this manually is a better solution than using Norton. Look for the following and delete them (after you have completely uninstalled ActiveSync):

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\Windows CE Services
• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services
• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services
• HKEY_USERS\Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services

If some are not present, then don't worry about them, and move on to the next.

Once that's done, reinstall ActiveSync. If your device still doesn't sync, check your ActiveSync Connection Settings on both your PC and Pocket PC, and ensure that USB has been selected (I assume you're synchronising the two via USB?). If that still fails, try hard resetting your Pocket PC (bear in mind that this will wipe all your data, except whatever is on your Built-in Storage).

miketh55
08-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Thank you for your help. Still no luck, have now tried hard reset and 2nd button on Axim does not appear to be working. I suspect a new purchase is required!

buzzard
08-05-2006, 04:14 PM
I copied/pasted this from Julie on Mobilitysite.com. I followed these additional directions and was able to download 3.8 after having 4.2 on my 4700 running 2003SE. Hope these changes help.

When you uninstalled ActiveSync 4.x, the uninstaller fails to delete certain files. Then when you installed ActiveSync 3.7, the installer doesn't overwrite them because they're newer.

Remove ActiveSync 3.7, reboot, log into safe mode (hit F8 before windows starts loading and select safe mode) once in safe mode, open the my computer and delete the following:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync (the whole folder)
The following file's from C:\WINDOWS\System32:
ceutil.dll
rapi.dll
mobileV.acm
uicom.dll

You also should delete C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\NoteSync Forms.

Then install ActiveSync 3.8.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...ivesync38.mspx

Julie

miketh55
08-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Thank you Buzzard and Darius Wey for all your help. The deletion of the files in system32 in safe mode did the trick. I could not find uicom.dll anywhere, but deleted the other three.
Activesync 3.8 is now again up and running and I will be sure to read system requirments before performing any future upgrades :D

bhmsaad
08-08-2006, 07:57 PM
I had exactly the same pb and have spent many hours trying to solve it.
Finally, I found this thread and activesync 3.8 works well now. Thank you.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I copied/pasted this from Julie on Mobilitysite.com. I followed these additional directions and was able to download 3.8 after having 4.2 on my 4700 running 2003SE. Hope these changes help.

When you uninstalled ActiveSync 4.x, the uninstaller fails to delete certain files. Then when you installed ActiveSync 3.7, the installer doesn't overwrite them because they're newer.

Remove ActiveSync 3.7, reboot, log into safe mode (hit F8 before windows starts loading and select safe mode) once in safe mode, open the my computer and delete the following:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync (the whole folder)
The following file's from C:\WINDOWS\System32:
ceutil.dll
rapi.dll
mobileV.acm
uicom.dll

You also should delete C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\NoteSync Forms.

Then install ActiveSync 3.8.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...ivesync38.mspx

Julie

skewline
09-05-2006, 09:10 PM
i have just appied the post above (i had a/s 4.2 installed). in safe mode is deleted all the files listed in post above, except i found no "mobileV.acm" nor "uicom.dll" i 'm hoping those were 3.8 files that 4.2 hadn't put there. maybe they got deleted when i deleted the whole a/s folder in the earlier step.
A/S 4.2 was reinstalled, to no avail. i'm thinking a hard reset is my next option. i've tried to apply 2 others posts, including making sure firewall allowed A/S.
before i hard reset, i should backup data. Can i save it to my SD card, or is that not an option? i'm thinking to take out both cards, sd & cf before i reset.
am i totally ignorant, or is this good course of action?? please have mercy on old guy and advise me. thank you, paul

skewline
09-05-2006, 09:42 PM
i forgot to say axim x51v, rom 12. if that helps.

Brad Adrian
09-06-2006, 06:11 PM
I would definitely recommend backing up to one of your storage cards. Also, make sure to simply copy all of the files and folders under "My Documents" in the device's internal memory somewhere safe, like on a storage card (making sure not to accidentally overwrite any "My Documents" folders on the card).

You can leave the cards in place when you do a hard reset; it won't hurt them. But, I always remove them just to make sure that I'm starting fresh and not confusing the system into doing anything other than a complete reset.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

skewline
09-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Thank you, Brad. I'm going to do this because everything i've tried hasn't changed synching problem. also, the other day, the axim battery ran down to zero when i was too busy elsewhere. when i plugged it in to charge, everything came back, even the skin i'd installed. but, maybe that's why i can't sync?? thanx again!!

Brad Adrian
09-06-2006, 06:59 PM
One of the nice things about WM5 is that you don't lose all of your files when your device resets from something like a battery drain. On the downside, that can also make an installation problem pretty persistent, because a hung installation won't die just because you perform a soft reset.

Good luck.

stevelam
09-06-2006, 07:39 PM
I'm thinking that your x51v, being a WM5 device will be ActiveSync 4.0+ compatible only.

Brad Adrian
09-07-2006, 04:00 AM
One final recommendation:

Many of us have noticed that ActiveStink problems are often caused by applications that try to grab Internet access immediately upon connection (like Weather applications updating, etc.). Make sure that you've either temporarily removed anything like that or at least configured them to manually update or to wait awhile before updating.

I've also (surprisingly) fixed all of my AS problems by simply making sure that my device's Inbox is pointing to the Outlook Inbox and not one of my POP accounts.

Good luck!

skewline
09-07-2006, 04:37 AM
i did the hard reset after i backed up my files, and made sure to move my documents as you said to the cf card.
it did what i hoped and performed the sync. by the way, after i tqpped "restore" the axim reverted to what it was b4 the reset. so i'm happy, but wary that a/s may act up again sometime. btw, i had downloaded 4.2. if that's a problem w/ the axim, then i've got issues that are coming around the corner. thank you for your help.

Brad Adrian
09-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Glad we could help! Drop us a line if anything else comes up.

Good luck.

freemans
09-11-2006, 01:01 AM
I would say Sprite Backup will do the backup/restore job in a really fast time, then you would nt need to worry to synchronize your pda/ :twisted:

skewline
09-18-2006, 04:02 PM
well, it synced once okay, but days later, it will only sync as "guest" again. stevelam said that x51v uses a/s 4.0. i had downloaded 4.2. is that my problem?? do i need to uninstall, and then install 4.0? thanks for any help

Brad Adrian
09-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Version 4.2 should work; that's the version I'm using with my X51v.

skewline
09-18-2006, 08:01 PM
thank you Brad. i'm just going to live with this for a while, i'm not the busiest person. i really live by the calendar on axim, not the pc.

btw freemans, i only used the built in backup, and it worked as i expected/hoped it would.

freemans
09-20-2006, 12:42 AM
Sprite Backup (http://www.spritebackup.com) will be anble to backup your unit data save it on your card, and when you need to restore, just run the file created , your device will go backto when you backed it up. worked flawless on mine anyway :mrgreen: