View Full Version : Copy .mdb (Access) file with Activesync

pmgibson
08-04-2006, 07:49 PM
I've been reading a lot of posts about MS dropping support for converting Access .mdb files to .cdb files in WM5. I'm wondering if that could be the source of a problem that I have.

I have AS set to NOT convert files. If a copy a .mdb file into my Synchronized Files folder on the PC, it does NOT get copied to the PPC.

Now, I'm not interested in converting it. I'm simply using the PPC as a transfer device to get from my work PC to my home PC. This works for other types of files (Word, Excel, etc.) But not for Access files.

So when MS says that Access file syncing is not supported, does that mean that even having AS automatically copy the file as it would any other file is also not supported?

If that's true, then I'll stop trying to figure out what's wrong with my setup and figure out a work around.

Appreciate any and all help.

Sven Johannsen
08-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Have you tried just opening up File Explore on AS and dragging the file over? Tried to a flash card and not main memory?Are you sure you have set PC to Device as no conversion for .mdb files?

pmgibson
08-05-2006, 05:48 AM
I can copy the file "manually" by cutting and pasting. I just can't get AS to do it automatically.

There's only one setting to stop syncing all files -- Tools -> Advanced Tools -> Edit File Conversion Settings - first tab has a checkbox to convert or not convert. I have it unchecked.

Sven Johannsen
08-06-2006, 04:44 AM
There's only one setting to stop syncing all files -- Tools -> Advanced Tools -> Edit File Conversion Settings - first tab has a checkbox to convert or not convert. I have it unchecked.I've never used the globally don't convert anything check box. I've always used the Tabs Device to Desktop and Desktop to Device on that same page. Under desktop to device you can single out .mdb and specifically say don't change it via the Edit button and a dropdown.

That doesn't appear to help either though. I've had a chance to play with it and it just doesn't seem to want to transfer .mdbs in the sync folder. It might be that mdbs are treated very diffeently from most other files when they are sync'd. They are not normally required to be in the sync folder and can be sync'd to a .cdb anywhere on the PPC. They are also treated much more like the PIM databases, Contacts, Calendar, making record based changes rather than wholsale document replacements. Can't say if it was an oversight or by design that .mdbs are filtered from the file transfer, but i don't expect here is much you can do but do the manual copy. Most DBs i work with, I would want to copy them to a flash card anyway, due to their size.

You don't need to cut and paste, BTW, just open up AS, click Explore and a window of your PPC will open up. Just drag the .mdb into the window. You can right click and move if you wish. Same to drag it out.