View Full Version : Is there a way to control what contacts get Synced?

wifi4milez
08-03-2006, 11:26 PM
This is sort of a follow up to my earlier post, since I was unable to find a viable workaround. I would like to know if there is a way to specify what type of contacts get synced when I connect to my PC with Oulook. As far as I can tell you only get a "yes" or "no" option when selecting categories like contacts, calendar, tasks, etc. I would like it to only sync with my personal contacts (I dont need the "business" contacts on my PPC phone). The reason I want this is because having 200+ contacts on my mobile devices is making them run slow (seriously!).

Here is my old thread for some background info.
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47726&highlight=

Cybrid
08-03-2006, 11:40 PM
This is sort of a follow up to my earlier post, since I was unable to find a viable workaround. I would like to know if there is a way to specify what type of contacts get synced when I connect to my PC with Oulook. As far as I can tell you only get a "yes" or "no" option when selecting categories like contacts, calendar, tasks, etc. I would like it to only sync with my personal contacts (I dont need the "business" contacts on my PPC phone). The reason I want this is because having 200+ contacts on my mobile devices is making them run slow (seriously!).

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47726&highlight=Under the settings, you can specify what categories of contacts get sync'ed.

wifi4milez
08-03-2006, 11:45 PM

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47726&highlight=Under the settings, you can specify what categories of contacts get sync'ed.

Which settings? I have been searching and not been able to find a place on either the PPC or in Outlook that allows me to chose a category of contacts to sync.

Cybrid
08-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Which settings? I have been searching and not been able to find a place on either the PPC or in Outlook that allows me to chose a category of contacts to sync.In AS, options select contacts settings.

wifi4milez
08-04-2006, 12:04 AM
Which settings? I have been searching and not been able to find a place on either the PPC or in Outlook that allows me to chose a category of contacts to sync.In AS, options select contacts settings.

Here's the big problem with that, the "options" setting with regards to contacts is greyed out (ie. you cant select it). All the other category settings (calendar, tasks, etc.) are black and selectable. Any thoughts?

Cybrid
08-04-2006, 12:19 AM
Here's the big problem with that, the "options" setting with regards to contacts is greyed out (ie. you cant select it). All the other category settings (calendar, tasks, etc.) are black and selectable. Any thoughts?Sorry, I'm working from memory while at outdoors. I'll have to refresh my memory. :oops:

wifi4milez
08-04-2006, 12:37 AM
Here's the big problem with that, the "options" setting with regards to contacts is greyed out (ie. you cant select it). All the other category settings (calendar, tasks, etc.) are black and selectable. Any thoughts?Sorry, I'm working from memory while at outdoors. I'll have to refresh my memory. :oops:

I was just given a quick tip on one way (not the best, but it works) to get this done. I can create a completely separate contacts folder (in Outlook) that I put all the business contacts in. When my phone syncs with Outlook it only syncs the contacts in my "regular" folder, not the "business" folder. While this may be a good workaround, I would really rather them all be in one place (contacts folder in Outlook) in case I want to sync them later on. As it stands now I will have to manually drag each business contact into my regular contacts folder since apparently when you have more than one contacts folder in Outlook there is NO WAY to sync it! They couldnt have made this any more difficult, could they? :wink:

Cybrid
08-04-2006, 03:27 AM
Well, Of all the useless MS dumbness! :roll:
In AS 3.8, you could specify what categories to sync. 4.2 doesn't. Just beautiful.... :evil:

Well, that leaves you to try the previous suggestion...try a better contact management software like Pocket Informant.