View Full Version : Question about GPS devices and Toshiba Pocket PC

rbgCODE
08-03-2006, 08:04 PM
I have a toshiba e750. I would like to turn it into a GPS device, because I am getting lost all the time and a regular pocket PC just can;t help. If this isnt possible I may be selling a slightly used e750 for cheap if anyone would be interested.

Cybrid
08-03-2006, 11:09 PM
I have a toshiba e750. I would like to turn it into a GPS device, because I am getting lost all the time and a regular pocket PC just can;t help. If this isnt possible I may be selling a slightly used e750 for cheap if anyone would be interested.
You need to simply purchase a mapping software of your liking and a compatible GPS card. SD or CF ?

rbgCODE
08-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Any suggestions on a good card? Where I should buy it from? Any help would be greatly appreciated.,

Cybrid
08-06-2006, 07:07 AM
www.ebay.com from 100+ feedback sellers...The Globalsat brand is good.

WhiteStarLine
09-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Hi rbgCODE,

Just saw this post and I hope by now you're up and running.

If not, I can assure you that the e750 is a good GPS platform and I've been running them together for several years, with a 512 MB SD card and a GlobalSat compact flash GPS.

If you haven't bought already, get a SiRF III chipset as their extra sensitivity means that you don't need to plug in an external aerial. Try and get one where the aerial is flexible, as mine is fixed and I broke it two years ago and the internal cabling was visible. I repaired it with a foundation of electrical tape and some bathroom sealant and it works fine.

My setup is:

* e75o
* oziExplorer (moving map software)
* Microsoft Streets and Trips (not yet installed)
* GlobalSat SiRF II compact flash GPS
* 512 MB SD card (these days buy a 2 GB card)
* external aerial
* Arkon mount
* CF adapter, so I can run the GPS with a laptop with PCMCIA.

The setup is surprisingly strong. I've had it in the car on long trips and on a bum bag for quite a few 50 or 60 km bicycle rides. The first e750 got chewed up by the dog (he was afer the leather case) so I've replaced it with another e750.

At work I connect the e750 to a USB hub with USB keyboard and mouse.

I also have a wrist mounted SIRF III from GlobalSat which I now use as my bike computer, while the e750 is used

HTH.

Cheers,

Bill

isajoo
09-04-2006, 04:45 PM
the other option is to get a bluetooth cf card and use any bluetooth gps unit.

total cost should be around $100-150.

that way u get bluetooth for internet anywhere u have a cellphone signal and gps and maybe more with the right drivers a bluetooth headphones.

this method is more upgradable for the future gps.

u could even buy a gps unit that comes with MS streets and trip for less than $100.