View Full Version : Forcing an app to stay in memory

Heavy Eddie
08-03-2006, 12:19 AM
I have a treo 700w and use mapopolis a lot. However, if I exit the app it seems to unload from memory and I have to reroute every time. Very annoying.

I seem to loose activesync from time to time as well. Annoying since I rely heavily on the push Email.

Any way to force these application not to unload?

Nurhisham Hussein
08-03-2006, 01:57 AM
That's probably a function of the low amount of free RAM that the 700w has. I don't think there's anything you can do about that, unless PPCTechs have figured out a way to add on more RAM to it.

Heavy Eddie
08-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the response

Sven Johannsen
08-04-2006, 08:49 PM
I have a treo 700w and use mapopolis a lot. However, if I exit the app it seems to unload from memory and I have to reroute every time. Very annoying.

I seem to loose activesync from time to time as well. Annoying since I rely heavily on the push Email.

How do you exit? The Treo is PPC Phone edition is it not? You have a start bar and flag at the top left? If you just go there and start whatever other app, Mapopolis should just background and should even keep routing. I can do that with Media player on other PPCPE devices. If you use Exit on the Mapopolis menu, yes, that means exit.

Multi-tasking is an inherent part of the WM OS. It is supposed to close unused applications if it needs the memory to run something else, but normally it just backgrounds apps when you hit the X in the top right.

Heavy Eddie
08-04-2006, 10:43 PM
I almost always use the start menu specifically so the app will stay resident in the background. I went and downloaded a new beta of Mapopolis that seems to have taken care of the problem. I will know for sure after this weekend.

Menneisyys
08-06-2006, 07:49 AM

Nope. Unfortunately, that's because your device is critically low on RAM (dynamic) memory.

This can't be helped - upgrade your RAM (if (it will be) possible) or switch to a better model with 64M RAM.

Heavy Eddie
08-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Yep, I was aware of the low memory when I purchased it. But I guess I fell for the hype that you wouldn't need as much memory with WM5.

The sad thing is that I have actually reverted to my PPC of old for my mapping needs and it outperforms and works much better than my Treo. (HP 1941) Actually, that has been the best PPC I've ever owned. I've owned a lot.

I want the Email push first and foremost... and now that I have a thumb keyboard I will never go back.