View Full Version : THIS IS HELL: Pocket Music Vs. Pocket Player Vs. Custom Ringtones...

Joseph Moon
07-31-2006, 01:12 AM
Okay - I am so close to throwing this freakin' phone through the wall... Another hour of my life is wasted as I search for more clues on why the custom ringtones have stopped working...

Anyone who has any of the applications running on their Palm Treo 700w - please respond to this message...

Pocket Music
Pocket Player
PocketInformant 2005

I also need to know if you have custom .mp3 ringtones assigned to any of your contacts in the PI software.

For those with a programmers mind - here is what I have discovered...

WM5 no longer acknowledges either the \Windows\Rings directory and/or any .mp3 ringtone in that directory. System applications such as NOTIFICATIONS does not play any of the files in the \WINDOWS\RINGS directory. But I can play all of the files in that directory with Pocket Music - so the files are good. Moving the .mp3 files out into the \Windows directory does not help as the NOTIFICATIONS app does not look for custom .mp3 files in that directory.

When a caller calls the phone, and the assigned ringtone can not be found/played, WM5 will select the annoying standard Treo Classic.mid to play. To get around this, I have to clear the assigned ringtone and let it default to the NOTIFICATIONS assigned KNOWN CALLER ringtone - which is a .mid file that came with the phone.

I am certain all of this began when I was evaluating and selecting a music program... Pocket Player was the first to be installed - and the ringtones appeared to be working ok after that install... But as Pocket Player became more and more of a problem with memory, I installed Pocket Music. This is when the ringtones went nuts. I uninstalled Pocket Music to get my ringtones back - believing that it was a registry entry that got tweaked at install... But that didn't work... The ringtone problem remained... I then reinstalled Pocket Player - hoping that program would fix the registry entry... But that didn't help... I finally decided to re-install Pocket Music so that I could at least listen to my music... And that is where I am at... I have a music player I like, but my ringtones are useless...

I have been through the registry a 100 times... I am good enough at the regsitry to know what it is saying, but not that good to know if something is wrong...

I am so desperate for help... I am sure a registry entry was changed during the installation of Pocket Music...

Any clues of your experiences could help me locate the issue...

Thanks for your help...

Joseph...

KTamas
07-31-2006, 10:36 AM
MP3/WMA ringtones will not work if WMP is not the default player for those files. I think you can set file associations with Resco Explorer for example.

Joseph Moon
07-31-2006, 01:59 PM
MP3/WMA ringtones will not work if WMP is not the default player for those files. I think you can set file associations with Resco Explorer for example.

Ahh haa! Freakin' Microsoft... I should have known!

Okay, so how do I get around this issue... I have found that if the ringtone is a .mid - it will work okay... Do I make all .mp3 default to the WMP association?

Joseph...

KTamas
07-31-2006, 02:01 PM

Ahh haa! Freakin' Microsoft... I should have known!

Okay, so how do I get around this issue... I have found that if the ringtone is a .mid - it will work okay... Do I make all .mp3 default to the WMP association?

Joseph...
Yes.

Joseph Moon
08-06-2006, 03:53 PM
After a month of being totally obsessed with this stupid ringtone issue, I finally came across a solution...

First, I want to say that emails to both Pocket Music and Pocket Player were sent for support - but neither of them were helpful in resolving the issue.

Now here is the answer to your Treo Ringtone problem with a music player becoming the default player. Pay attention cause this can get real confusing real fast...

Change all your .mp3 ringtones to .wma!

Yep, that's it. Simple, quick and real easy! Converters are all over the net and many of them are free. I danced for an hour when I tried it and it worked...

Joseph...

Jason Patterson
08-06-2006, 11:55 PM
Joseph,

Please note our normal response time is within one business day, and you had emailed on Friday. We copied this answer to your email address, but here it is again:

We have resolved this problem for Pocket Player 2.8. Earlier versions certainly did have this problem. First, un-associate the files from Pocket Player 2.7x. Next, install the 2.8 upgrade, and you should be able to re-associate the files with Pocket Player and still keep your ringtones. Please let us know if this does not address the problem. Thanks again!

Joseph Moon
08-07-2006, 06:57 AM
Thank you for responding...

Joseph...

BoxWave
09-10-2006, 08:53 AM
I just wanted to say, "nice thread title". 0X I know your frustration well.