View Full Version : Stellarium clone

JesterMania
07-30-2006, 01:58 AM
Okay, here I am with another request for a specific software (I seem to be on roll lately :wink: ). Anyways, I recently came across this awesome and free planetarium program (for the desktop PC) called Stellarium (http://www.stellarium.org). I've been trying to find a program like this for the Pocket PC, but still haven't succeeded. I did a massive testing of many programs such as Pocket Stars, Taiyoukei, etc. and they all had some problems:

- They are far too complicated for my purpose and I don't understand how to use even a fraction of their features.
- Many of them can't show the constellation images (Stellarium has a function where you can show constellation art).
- I'm limited to some sort of "telescope view" (such as Pocket Stars)

Sorry if my descriptions are very vague, you really have to try Stellarium to see what I mean. Something casual for a beginner like me to see, very visual, and not too complicated/hardcore.

I guess the bottom line is, all these programs are for astronomers to chart stars, do astronomical analysis, etc. whereas I want a program that operates much like a real planetarium. I just want a program that lets me view the night sky anywhere in the world, full 6 degress of freedom, shows constellations and their associated art, simulate me actually standing at a place on Earth (as Stellarium does wonderfully).

If someone ever finds a program like Stellarium, I'd be very happy!