View Full Version : Can I share Nokia 6682 web connection with PocketPC

SteveHoward999
07-27-2006, 07:02 PM
I just bought a Nokia 6682. Can I set it up to share its internet connection with my Toshiba E830? Both have BlueTooth

Nurhisham Hussein
07-28-2006, 02:33 AM
Steve, as long as the Nokia supports the Bluetooth DUN profile (which, with Nokia, is NOT a given), then you should be able to. How it's done...can get complicated.

Basically you need to replicate the Nokia's GPRS/EDGE/3G/EVDO (whichever applicable) settings in your Toshiba. The bluetooth part is actually pretty easy (IF the Nokia supports it), it's the network configuration that can get a little hairy. Which carrier are you using?

SteveHoward999
07-28-2006, 02:54 AM
I'll be with Cingular.

The PDA definitely has DUN ... turns out I paired it with my wife's phone sometime and forgot (she has a Razr). I guess that means I already know how to do it :?

Nurhisham Hussein
07-28-2006, 04:02 AM
The PDA definitely has DUN ...

Oh, there's no worries about the PDA having DUN - they almost all have them. Nokia phones are another matter entirely.

I'll be with Cingular.

Ok the important items are:

APN: wap.cingular
USER: [email protected]
pWORD: CINGULAR1

(PAY ATTENTION TO LOWER/UPPER CASE)

Once you've paired the Toshiba with the Nokia, you need to input these items in the Bluetooth network connection settings. To do that (this is for WM2003SE, but WM2003 is similar), go to Start->Settings->Connections tab->Connections->Advanced->Select Networks->Select Bluetooth Settings from the dropdown boxes->Edit->Modem->New...

1. Enter a name for the connection, and select Bluetooth dialup modem, click next.

2. Enter the number to be dialed...typically *99#.

3. Enter the username and password, then click Advanced.

4. Type, "+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.cingular" in the extra dial strings box.

Click the OK button until you get back to the "Select Networks" page. Make sure the modified settings are in the internet connection dropdown box. I'm unsure at this stage how the exact connection will be handled - it's different between the different bluetooth stacks. Ordinarily, if the correct settings are selected, then your PDA will automatically use the dial strings given when you call the internet. You can also launch it manually at the modem page, or if you're using the Widcomm stack, through the Bluetooth manager.

If it doesn't work, there may be a need to attach extra dial strings (like reseting the modem - I'm sorry, I can't recall exactly what the string is, I'll dig for it if required), or put in the DNS server IPs.

SteveHoward999
07-29-2006, 03:46 AM
If it doesn't work, there may be a need to attach extra dial strings (like reseting the modem - I'm sorry, I can't recall exactly what the string is, I'll dig for it if required), or put in the DNS server IPs.

It's not working right now - but then I cannot get the phone to see the internet either. Seems like there is a local problem, as my wife's Razr is not getting internet either. I'll make time in the next day or two to go see Cingular.

Incidentally, for Nokia phones, Nokia.com has an excellent utility for setting up your phone for web, email etc. based on phone type and service provider. Check out this page

http://www.nokia.ca/english/products/support/supporttemplates/phone_main.asp?phone=6682

There is a section on the page for Settings, giving access to a tool that sends the settings to your phone via SMS. Nice.

SteveHoward999
08-02-2006, 11:45 PM
APN: wap.cingular
USER: [email protected]
pWORD: CINGULAR1

(PAY ATTENTION TO LOWER/UPPER CASE)
1. Enter a name for the connection, and select Bluetooth dialup modem, click next.

2. Enter the number to be dialed...typically *99#.

3. Enter the username and password, then click Advanced.

4. Type, "+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.cingular" in the extra dial strings box.

OK I tried this, now that I have internet and email working on the phone. When I try to connect to the internet, the PDA talks to the phone, the phone asks if I want to accept the connection - so I say yes. It tries twice, then errors out. "Cannot connect for unknown reason ..." after the ellipses it continues to say ... check your settings.

I wondered if this was a typo

"+CGDCONT=1 -- no closing quote

but I tried with and without the quote and got the same error.

Not sure what else to try without talking to Cingular support ... I hate dealing with support. It's worse now I am in America as noone ever seems to understand my British accent :-/

So if you have any additional suggestions before I settle down for a frustrating hour or three on the phone, please let me know.

SteveHoward999
08-03-2006, 12:03 AM
OK I got it working. I had the time to do some proper research, and I found this thread:-

http://www.golod.com/2005/03/cingular-wap-dial-up-networking-settings/

down the page a little is a report from one guy who got the settings to work for him with his PDA and phone. This is what he said, and it works for me:-

Here is the setting that FINALLY worked for me;

Connection Name: whatever you want i named mine wap.cingular
Modem: bluetooth dialup modem
Phone number: *99***1# (turn dialing rules off)
Username: [email protected] (case sensitive)
Password: CINGULAR1 (case sensitive)
**click advanced tab**
Baud rate: whatever i use 19200
uncheck wait for dial tone before dialing
Extra dial string: +CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”WAP.CINGULAR” (case sensitive and that is an O not a zero)
All other settings leave default (port settings, TCP/IP, Servers)

Combining that information with what you already told me, hishamh , I was able to get it to work just fine.

Shame the conection is so slow.

Anyone know if there's somethign special I have to do to get EDGE instead of GPRS - aside from the possibility I have to move to a bigger city which I know *might* be my problem. ;-)

Nurhisham Hussein
08-03-2006, 01:41 AM
Glad you got it working! - yeah the quote mark was a typo. As for EDGE/GPRS, the switch is supposed to be automatic, so you may just be out of the EDGE coverage area.