View Full Version : PocketPC 6600 (audiovox) keeps hard resetting

tunderbliss
07-26-2006, 04:50 AM
It's odd, but it hard resets spontaneously. I have it backed up, but this keeps happening for some unknown reason. I did drop it a couple of months ago, so that may have been the start. The first time it did this was when I set it down on a hard surface -- I actually dropped it from about 2 inches. Normally, not a big deal, but the darn thing hard reset. Then for a while it would ALWAYS do it when the battery was dead so I thought that was the problem. But now, twice in the last week, it has hard reset when it gets a rough jossle or even if I set it down on a hard surface w/out being extremely careful.

What do you all think?

Darius Wey
07-26-2006, 05:56 AM
Because your device runs Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition, if your battery is depleted, it will force the device to hard-reset upon the next startup.

However, if that's not the cause, I can think of three issues:

(1) Buggy software. Does this happen when it's "clean" - that is, when it's in a fresh state following a hard reset and when you haven't restored your backup file?

(2) SD card, or SDIO accessory. Try removing this and running your device without it for a few days. Does the problem still occur?

(3) General hardware problem. You may want to contact Pocket PC Techs (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/) to see if they can fix it.

thehesiod
07-31-2006, 10:07 PM
It's odd, but it hard resets spontaneously. I have it backed up, but this keeps happening for some unknown reason. I did drop it a couple of months ago, so that may have been the start. The first time it did this was when I set it down on a hard surface -- I actually dropped it from about 2 inches. Normally, not a big deal, but the darn thing hard reset. Then for a while it would ALWAYS do it when the battery was dead so I thought that was the problem. But now, twice in the last week, it has hard reset when it gets a rough jossle or even if I set it down on a hard surface w/out being extremely careful.

What do you all think?

it's the screws. Take the phone apart and tighten the screws. In fact, I bet you're missing several screws already...in particular off the top. There's a post on pdaphonehome about how to get free screws from audiovox...there's also a company you can google for screws ($10...ouch).

I tightened mine and adjusted the screws I had left to keep the thing snug and not reboots since.

tunderbliss
09-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Sure enough, BOTH screws were missing...Bought the screws, replaced them 2 weeks ago. I have not have any problems since then.

Thank you thank you thank you!

antilog
09-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Could you please share with us how you obtained the screws? I can find no such post on pdaphonehome.com regarding free audiovox screws.

Thank you.

antilog
09-14-2006, 09:13 PM
Well, they're not free, but beter than nothing:

http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~unit~Audiovox_PPC6600-262~area~repairs~item~XDA-SCRWKIT03.htm

My PPC6600 also hard resets on a whim, and is missing a screw.

raulmoras
09-13-2007, 11:07 PM
Hi,
I have the same problem, but my screws are all there and well tightened.
Any other idea?
Thanks

Paul79UF
11-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi,
I have the same problem, but my screws are all there and well tightened.
Any other idea?
Thanks

Does the battery feel loose?

Maybe try cleaning the contacts with a dry Q-tip.

Zagleft1
11-15-2007, 03:40 AM
What Paul said. I seem to recall that my 6600's battery didn't fit very tightly and was subject to moving around and a little of that can cause the battery to lose touch enough to cause a reset. Some people fixed this by applying a few layers of tape on the battery to build up its thickness enough to make for a more secure battery latch.