View Full Version : Tell me about the Ratoc USB Host card

Joelacrane
07-26-2006, 02:44 AM
Darius talked me into an Axim x51v, so i'll have two memory card slots now. I was thinking about getting one of those Ratoc USB Host cards. Can someone tell me about it?

How much was it? Does it power most usb devices? If not, what do you do? Does it drain your PPCs batteries? How about drivers? Does it recognize most devices? Does it like to be hot swapped? Ever have problems with it?

Thanks!

Darius Wey
07-26-2006, 05:46 AM
Darius talked me into an Axim x51v, so i'll have two memory card slots now. I was thinking about getting one of those Ratoc USB Host cards. Can someone tell me about it?

I'm assuming you know the differences between USB 1.1 and 2.0? Unfortunately, the Ratoc card only supports USB 1.1 (and I'm not aware of any USB Host cards of the v2.0 specification), so expect file transfers to be slow if you attach a USB HDD to it.

How much was it?

Not cheap. About $150 USD.

Does it power most usb devices?

It has a 100mA rating, so most low-power devices won't need an external power source and can happily draw juice from the Pocket PC (although, I would really suggest you connect your Pocket PC to a power source, since its battery life isn't stunning).

With portable USB hard disks (3.5" variety), you will need an external power source.

If not, what do you do?

As above.

Does it drain your PPCs batteries?

Anything which places stress on a device drains the battery. This includes: (a) the USB Host card, and (b) whatever USB peripheral is attached to it.

How about drivers? Does it recognize most devices?

Windows Mobile 5.0 includes the basic drivers for USB storage, so you can attach hard disks and flash drives without much concern. Other, more complex peripherals may or may not require drivers. It's really a hit-and-miss.

Does it like to be hot swapped?

As a standard CF accessory, hot swapping shouldn't cause any problems.

Joelacrane
07-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Actually, the transfer rates will be BELOW the USB 1.1 specification, because of limitations of the pocket pc itself.

While it would be cool to plug in a mouse or an mp3 player, i think i might just go for a 2gb CF card instead, so that i can tell all the people with iPod Nanos how stupid they are.

Darius Wey
07-26-2006, 06:45 PM
While it would be cool to plug in a mouse or an mp3 player, i think i might just go for a 2gb CF card instead, so that i can tell all the people with iPod Nanos how stupid they are.

The iPod nano isn't just about storage. You'll have to make a huge case to convince Apple-ites that your Pocket PC is far superior for media. Bear in mind that while you may have a lot of good reasons, they'll have plenty to rebut.

Just letting you know, so you can go in prepared. ;)

Joelacrane
07-27-2006, 03:15 AM
If only someone could make a single media program that A) Utilizes buttons well, B) Has a clean, slick interface, and C) Is extremely easy to use.

So far, Pocket Player is the closest thing, but even it still falls short. For example, if you press a key mapped to "Browse Songs" and then you accidentally press your datebook key whilst you are browsing, datebook pops up and you have to get out your stylus! Arrrrghhh!

Drop some features, make it easy to use. Its that simple. Maybe i should start up a new thread about this.

Darius Wey
07-27-2006, 04:38 AM
So far, Pocket Player is the closest thing, but even it still falls short. For example, if you press a key mapped to "Browse Songs" and then you accidentally press your datebook key whilst you are browsing, datebook pops up and you have to get out your stylus! Arrrrghhh!

No application is perfect. You should submit this as feedback to Conduits if it's of major concern to you. Perhaps they'll be able to honour your request in the next update.